Wookiee's 1991 Specialized Allez Epic Carbon

BobCatMax":2v7x5lvc said:
Nice. New stem arrived for mine yesterday and I've got an inline seat post on its way from wadsy. Will get a new pic up for you once it's done :)

Yeah would be cool to see another one!

Re:

1st proper (albeit short) ride out tonight on the Epic... 10mile loop I have been doing on the 2012 Allez after work thought it would be a good comparaison.

Well heres my diagnosis/comparison with the 2012 Allez....the ride was much smoother, the forks flex a lot more but makes it much easier on the wrists...the bumps in general are MUCH less harsh than the 2012, more likely the carbon frame...the brakes work, I mean like 5 times better than the 2012. Down tube shifters were better than I expected, still not as good as STI but indexed so precise, just have to plan your shifting a bit better. Bit scarey to shift down at speed on a downhill as your 1 handed and off balance for a sec. Felt very nimble but solid and the drivetrain made a nice satisfying whirry clean sound. Overall very impressed for a 1991 bike it rode 10 times better than the 2012...and I beat 6 PR's and set a number 2 place on one section!! (out of 44 or 3rd out of 70)

I think there is only room for 1 road bike in the Wookiee Hole and its the the 1991! Who'd have thought it eh a lover of retro MTB's actually loves a retro road bike!!! :LOL:

Doug

Oh and the Strava route is here:

http://www.strava.com/activities/122170174

nice ones on the comparison .i assume the 2012 allez was alluminium not carbon.
out of interest what are the overall weights please.
[just bought a luggage weigh er 'robert dysons £5] :)

oonaff":2fy66bh1 said:
nice ones on the comparison .i assume the 2012 allez was alluminium not carbon.
out of interest what are the overall weights please.
[just bought a luggage weigh er 'robert dysons £5] :)

Hi yeah the 2012 is the base level Allez and is aluminium (bout £600 new) and weighs in at 25lbs 9oz...

The 1991 Allez is as you know carbon (bout £1000 new) and weighs 21lbs 10oz so a little over 4lbs lighter!

Had another ride tonight on the 1991...so much more comfortable, even getting used to the indexed downshifters, makes me stick it out in higher gears for longer! Although I noticed the forks really do flex :?: Hopefully this is normal and not due to my bulk. The wheels spin really well and I am getting on well with the gear ratios 53/39 up front and 12/24 at the rear. I still don't feel comfy in the drop bar position tho happier resting in the lever hoods....

wookiee":in3n7q6l said:
BobCatMax":in3n7q6l said:
Nice. New stem arrived for mine yesterday and I've got an inline seat post on its way from wadsy. Will get a new pic up for you once it's done :)

Yeah would be cool to see another one!

not quite an Allez, but in terms of looks it's bang on :)

Re:

Nice find Wookiee ,

A friend of mine had one BITD . Strong as an ox he was , but never had any trouble with it .

BTW , did you get the foam grips you wanted a while ago ?

Mike

Back