Women's Tennis

I love women's tennis, although I have no idea why they don't play 5 sets at the slams.

Pretending Women's football is as good as men's football (like the BBC do) is tantamount to me doing a drawing, taking it to the louvre, putting it up next to the Mona Lisa and then getting my knickers in a twist when people say my picture looks awful. It's the modern day emperor's new clothes. It's terrible, everyone who's ever watched it knows it's terrible but they're all frightened to speak the truth.

I don't know why they don't, watching the final today it was crazy how Halep went to pieces once she was broken back, if there were still two sets left I reckon she might have rallied and taken it to a fifth. Three set matches just don't allow for slow starts unless you're as good as Sharapova (and most aren't).

markwashington":37ujofgz said:
Pretending Women's football is as good as men's football (like the BBC do) ...

That's like pretending that death by rabies is as nice as death by Ebola.

Pro footballers are a bunch of overpaid twots. I did the football on over time recently as the C.I.s minder/batman/gofer, and what i saw was shocking. There was a rough tackle and some bloke falls over screaming, clutching his leg. I was rather alarmed at this, as the bloke had clearly broken his leg in several places. However, the ref uttered some words with obvious healing powers and 15 seconds later he was running round the pitch lime nothing had happened. Childish, idiotic, unsporting. Anyone resorting to acting to try and gain an advantage should be sent off torn the rest of the game if they're 'hurt' that badly.

And the other thing I noticed. It's supposed to be a non contact sport, yet there's elbows going in, shoving of each other, pulling of each other's tops etc. Jeez, some of them think they're playing rugby.

In was really into it as a kid and young man, but now in just can't see it I'm afraid.

Chopper1192":1ieedu4h said:
markwashington":1ieedu4h said:
Pretending Women's football is as good as men's football (like the BBC do) ...

That's like pretending that death by rabies is as nice as death by Ebola.

Pro footballers are a bunch of overpaid twots. I did the football on over time recently as the C.I.s minder/batman/gofer, and what i saw was shocking. There was a rough tackle and some bloke falls over screaming, clutching his leg. I was rather alarmed at this, as the bloke had clearly broken his leg in several places. However, the ref uttered some words with obvious healing powers and 15 seconds later he was running round the pitch lime nothing had happened. Childish, idiotic, unsporting. Anyone resorting to acting to try and gain an advantage should be sent off torn the rest of the game if they're 'hurt' that badly.

And the other thing I noticed. It's supposed to be a non contact sport, yet there's elbows going in, shoving of each other, pulling of each other's tops etc. Jeez, some of them think they're playing rugby.

In was really into it as a kid and young man, but now in just can't see it I'm afraid.

Much as I like football, it is a flawed sport for the reasons mentioned above (money, cheating, over-inflated celeb status). This photo of Adriano Malori from this year's Giro d'Italia sums up cyclists vs. top flight footballers quite well:

https://twitter.com/Colin_Bloom/status/ ... 48/photo/1

Non-contact sport? Not a recent thing, sadly, as showing in these movie credits featuring a particularly dirty lot in their 1960s/1970s "glory" (I use the term loosely) days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeNG-cj52rg&feature=kp

(Note particularly the none-more-blatant 'off the ball' incident with Jack Charlton)

Why should women's sport have to play a poor second fiddle to men's sport? You'd think cyclists would be a bit more enlightened given how well both male and female GB riders have performed in recent years (and as a cyclo-cross rider myself, I'd argue that in that sphere our women easily outshine the men at international level). Women's football? Frankly I'd rather the Beeb chucked more money than that than at the excessively blokey spectacle (which indeed is clogging up the BBC1 schedule for over 2hrs this evening) once described by Humphrey Lyttleton as "grown men dressed in romper suits driving mobile fag packets round in circles for two hours".

David

An unfortunate comparison, cycling versus football, when you talk about cheating!

Women like Jessica Ennis, Kelly Holmes, Denise Lewis. Massive inspiration to me as athletes. Regardless of their sex.

I will happily see more money spent covering women's sport rather than 'sports' like darts and snooker.

(...talking of cheating!)

highlandsflyer":11msknee said:
Women like Jessica Ennis, Kelly Holmes, Denise Lewis. Massive inspiration to me as athletes. Regardless of their sex.

Absolutely. In the CX world, Helen Wyman is a big inspiration for a lot of us and flies the flag for the UK admirably.

highlandsflyer":11msknee said:
I will happily see more money spent covering women's sport rather than 'sports' like darts and snooker.

(...talking of cheating!)

I can't take televised snooker seriously any more in any case - it's all Mitchell & Webb's fault ("oh, and that's a bad miss", etc.). Not The Nine O'Clock News did a similar hatchet job on darts. :)

David

highlandsflyer":365jaylb said:
I would hate to think what Techno thinks of the Paralympics.
I have no issue with the paralympics per se, nor women's sport for that matter, so long as they are viewed in the correct context i.e. as vastly inferior products to men's competition. The issue I have is the increasing coverage (via the BBC) and the attempt to somehow give parity. The extended BBC orgasm over the London paralympics was embarrassing, and women's sport should have a separate tab. Of course then nobody would look at it so we get it forced upon us whether we like it or not. Typical BBC.

I despise the BBC more than women's football.

Back