Why Old Bikes ?

For me its all the comments above.

Its also about some really happy times aswell.

Riding c*ck sure on a rigid bike that was, by todays standards, to big for you :LOL:

Plus lusting over kit that I could never afford, Ti, XTR you get the picture.....

old bikes are cooler

the ford cortina mk1 is spiritually the ford mondeo's great grandad. but only one of them is utterly, utterly cool.

I did say " need not" be expensive - I'm becoming more and more aware it's a slippery slope! My first two builds, one retro and one new are pretty near completion and the brain cells are already percolating around the "what next" question.

Perhaps it's a good job I'm under 5' and frames my size are hard to come by!

Ah, I see, old farts like me ;)

Well, I myself am after a 'retro' bike, my reasoning is I know the stuff from the early nineties, I developed my riding style then, so am comfortable with bikes of that era. The new stuff, like what, new terms for bikes, I had to go and ask in Halfords what is the new terminology, what it all means and then I decided stuff that, get an old bike.

My old MTB was individual, it had striking classic looks when I got it, metallic black and silver, very classy, my next bike, a retro bike will be the same frame design and will hopefully get a new metallic black powdercoating. My old bike had deore xt throughout, my next bike will be the same, or maybe even xtr, now the prices look better.

I used to use old campagnolo steel toe clips, I am going back to those, I remember they worked for me, so they will work again.

I used to have XT thumbshifters, superb things, I know no other shifter, so with any luck, I hope to find some thumbies again.

I had cable oilers fitted, and all my bolts were tamperproof and I was a fan of the crud products, the crud claw fantastic in snow and ice. At one time I had Nokia studded tyres for biking on ice (back in the days when the winters were cold and the lakes froze)

Oh bugger, I know what I am doing, I am reminiscing, and I always was an individual. Individualty I like, retro will suit me fine.

Oh, and of cars and stuff, to date I have had a 1955 land rover,and a 1977 VW camper, I tend to keep old things for long times, the land-rover I had for ten years, and the camper the same again, my old saracen, I had it for 11 years before I lost it. I rebuilt the land-rover, and very nearly replaced everything in the camper. So, I have an old things mentality, hell, I even shave with a 1935 Rolls razor.

Its a Hobby :D

Its an obsession :(

Keeps your mind active :D

Costs you money :(

Keeps you fit :D

more goods than bads :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah, Retro pretty much extends into other parts of my life too, as well as the cars and bikes, music, clothing, old TV shows, films etc.

This is my main phone :) , been in the family since 1977.

phone.jpg

Works great and the sound of the ring with a proper metal bell cant be beaten :cool: , get's unstuck though when i ring one of those option lines, press two for this and three for that etc, that just doesn't work with a dial :LOL:

silverclaws":1pqq697b said:
I used to have XT thumbshifters, superb things, I know no other shifter, so with any luck, I hope to find some thumbies again.

Have they invented something else now then? ;) :LOL: :LOL:

neilll":3joza513 said:
silverclaws":3joza513 said:

Have they invented something else now then? ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Come on man, try and keep up. Theres something called 'gripshift' now and Shimano are even working on air operated shifters- with levers UNDER the bar! the mind boggles- a mate of mine says he saw a bike with a disc brake last week. What will they think of next?

Si

Back