Old bike with 7sp new thumbie 8 sp

Spankyfart

Marin Fan
I am building a bike for my brothers wife, I got a pretty '91 Worldtraveller Lady with a 7sp DX derailleur.
Now this will be made STOP READING HERE IF YOU ARE A SENSITIVE PURIST! into an.....

....E-Bike with Magura rim brakes.
Now I found this Sunrace 8sp shifter, but they don't come in 7sp.
I assume I can use this as a 7sp shifter locking out the shift on the low screw?
Or have it start on the 2sp and lock it on the high screw.

Yes no maybe iono, why aren't you using era correct thumbies!1!1111oneeleven...

I have a stronger opinion about E-bikes than I have about making the wrong thumb shifter work. But as stated above, I don't see what's wrong with a proper 7 speed trigger shifter if it's available.

Regarding the thumbie being used for 7 speed: yes should work imho. However I have one of those Sunrace shifters and it never quite indexed better than 90%. I later read on a forum someone saying it is a design fault related to the tightening bolt: you have to tighten very hard, making shifting stiff, for it to index properly so they said.

If you do go that route, I can do you a deal on a nearly new one.

Why not this? It is even cheaper.

It's not about getting cheap but more availability.
I own the DX thumbies but it's part of a complet(ish) set so I don't want to part with only the right thumbie.
If someone has one, or the XT version and lives in the EU I'm interested.

Regarding the thumbie being used for 7 speed: yes should work imho. However I have one of those Sunrace shifters and it never quite indexed better than 90%. I later read on a forum someone saying it is a design fault related to the tightening bolt: you have to tighten very hard, making shifting stiff, for it to index properly so they said.

If you do go that route, I can do you a deal on a nearly new one.

Thanks, that's what I figured just wanted a little confirmation.
These are dirt cheap (too cheap?) so I doubt it's profitable for any of us to trade but thanks for the offer.

Yes you can, it will work, but it might be temperamental for 2 reasons....7 speed spacing is different to 8.....and as mentioned above, the indexing on those is not the best.

Tbh.....i would find a second hand 7 speed shimano shifter.....

Back