Why epoxy in frame tubing “weep holes”?

Fantastic thread revival, that.
Just the sort of insider story to tidy up a debate that we love around here.
Many thanks.

Retro Spud":41jqfwgo said:
Thanks for joining just to share your knowledge.
danson67":41jqfwgo said:
Fantastic thread revival, that.
Just the sort of insider story to tidy up a debate that we love around here.
Many thanks.
Seconded on both comments!
It's especially good to have an ex-Alpinestars employee amongst our ranks!
Are you from SLO by any chance? And do you (or know anyone who might) have any old bits'n'bobs at the back of the garage for the Alpinestars bikes? Such as manufacturer-specific components and accessories? I'd love to hear from you if you do!
Welcome to the forum and please post more stories about your time working for my favourite-ever bike company! :D
Regards
Regan

Re: Re:

BudsBikeBuilder":3mihadgx said:
...'92 Cro-Mega frame failures at the drive side stay above the dropout. The stress riser inherent in the design applied directly to the relatively large heat-affected zone allowed the tube to buckle, usually on the forward face in response to applied driveline torque.
Wow! Thanks very much. That actually clears up 2 mysteries for me, and come to find out they're both directly related to one another.

After joining RB and getting bit by the e-stay bug, I started collecting as fast as I could find them, and the first A-stars I found had that exact characteristic (see pics). I actually didn't notice it until I tried to rebuild it, and I just assumed that maybe somebody dropped the bare frame directly onto the drive-side dropout. I've always wondered what could be done about it, and had considered posting on RB about it, but I'm fairly certain that bending it back would weaken it, and welding it would be more trouble than it was worth.

A couple more questions:
What are the 2 extra pairs of holes in the drive-side chainstay and dropout for? Perhaps an attempt to straighten the frame by bolting long "cheater" bars to it and torquing them?
Is this frame salvageable, and if so, is this (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p#p1119331) the best that can become of it? I guess an old race horse being put out to pasture and re-purposed like that is better off then just being hung on a wall.

Attachments

• A-Stars Bent Stay 3.JPG
    A-Stars Bent Stay 3.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 409
  • A-Stars Bent Stay 2.JPG
    A-Stars Bent Stay 2.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 409
  • A-Stars Bent Stay 1.JPG
    A-Stars Bent Stay 1.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 409
Re:

Top thread resurrection. As someone pointed out, condensation and lack of air flow will cause moisture build up inside tubes.

Taking a bike out of a warm garage / house out for a ride in say -5c is plenty enough for droplets to form.

As a side note, I have not seen a Ti frame with weep holes nor drain hole in the BB shell - presumably because it is not deemed necessary by frame manufactures. Drilling Ti is also costly too.

Reality and first hand experience though moisture does collect and the BB steel cartridge / cups rust and alloy seat posts corrode.

Both my Ti frames have holes, weep holes/hot gas breather holes in the stays and a drain hole in the bottom bracket (the frame might be corrosion proof, but the bottom bracket certainly isn't)

Back