Why do you want to pay someone for old tat.

midibiker

Klein Fan
I know we might like our old kit.

But why are we paying people silly money to put tat on our bikes?

It's only encouraging sellers to stick their battered old parts online for silly amounts of money.

You may as well just put some fairly new items on your bike, or just buy new parts that come with a decent warranty. Because we have people out there trying to sell their items from the 90's on Ebay for more than what they would cost today if they were new.

And there is nothing worse than putting a battered old part on your nice bike. Especially when you have had to part with good money for it.

I figure that the guys that stick a battered m560 rear mech on eBay for a £25 bin are just naive at best and chancers at worst. I doubt much of that stuff gets sold. Most of the target customers for those parts reside on this site, which means very few won’t have a firm idea of market price.

I suppose if I wanted a bike to ride hard and without any real sympathy - that I needed to be functional only, but that I wanted to ride retro.. well, I might be prepared to buy something that was cosmetically rough. However under those circumstances I would buy that stuff from RB. That way I can generally trust that the kit works as described.

Rarity, demand, one mans tat is another mans treasure and all that. Plus i can not afford NOS prices for retro parts these days 🤯

If you have to ask this question, may I suggest you are on the wrong forum ?

This forum has been going for years and only within the past 3-4 years have these chancers with their expesive tat appeared on the scene... Personally I am happy to wait rather than pay the criminal prices of most retro items on eBay.... Some parts do have a rarity value as not that many were produced.

Also there is a recycling aspect to this hobby too..

As for new parts, I know I am getting old but the prices of anything decent new is absolutely horrendous now, I have bought new bikes for the price of some new cassettes..... FFS

Do i use parts for the 90s. Yes.....i was working in bike shops for 87 to 93...so i hope so......oh, and i still do use them....thats my point. Ive got/ had modern stuff and the engineering quality is rubbish. Thats why xt hubs from 1990 are still in use and ive binned 2 sets of of post 2010 xt hubs in the last 4 years.

Crappy modern xt rapid fire shifter anybody ( it may last a season of serious use if your lucky), or a nice 90s suntour xc pro shifter......oh yes mine from 1990 are still on my daily use bike and working fine.

Im afraid the test of time is rather against you on this one!

Like everything these days new things whether bike parts, furniture or a new car aren't built to last like the good old days.
Its largely all cheap mass produced rubbish purposely designed to break so you replace it.

If you buy quality old parts they'll last forever if well maintained and save you in the long run as you won't have to keep replacing them when they inevitably snap/break.
You get what you pay for.

You'd pay say £200 for a cheap bike way back and you'd throw it over jumps, ghosty it being a silly kid etc and you'd pick it up, ride away like nothing had happened. These days you pay Christ knows what, thousands, go on a little trail and the whole bike ends up broken or bent like a pretzel half the time.

The value is in the eye of the buyer. Today some twat paid over 3 million for a baseball sports card. I wouldn’t pay 50p for it. I wish had sold that card

Back