Which Shimano-compatible External Bottom Bracket?

DoctorRad

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
If you ended up having to use a Shimano-compatible external bottom bracket, what would you go for and why? Looking for something as robust and long-lived as possible, unless stupidly expensive…

What's wrong with a Shimano unit? I don't think I've ever really killed one and you can pick them up dirt cheap.
I don't know, I've never had to use one… I'm just aware that external bottom brackets are oft regarded as a lot more fragile than their square-taper counterparts…

Something with replaceable bearings would be good, so a used Hope looks like a good option… but other opinions welcome 👍🏻

Shimano XT. Fit and forget, last ages and only £20.

Hope are lovely, but main reason I have one is it’s so much better other GXP offerings for my Sram cranks. Price is eye watering.

Shimano also run on plastic top hats and if things start to wear, it’s these that go rather than the crank axle. Have seen Hope ones wear axles before to the point the crank always has play.
Not the biggest fan of modern Shimano but their crank interface is the best around.

Xtr, it's an extra $10-$15. Bb93 I think. Supposed to have better seals then the lower specs. I

Back