Which modern wheel size will win out?

coomber":r3ew85zx said:
Ignoring the wheel size themselves, the "new" geometry of bikes in the last 2 years or so has made for some great bikes in all wheel sizes

That's the key as the geometry is catching up with the improvements in forks/shocks.

If you plan on keeping the 26" bikes then build a modern 29er as you'll notice the most difference. Do not buy a new 26" unless you plan to keep it forever as the bottom has fallen out of the s/h 26" market big time.

I could never see the point of 29ers, even after my mate got one and I had a go. Felt all wrong, albeit in the wrong size. Another pal then got one and set it up more like what I'd want so I had another go. Although not totally sold I started to see what the point was.
A year or so ago my fiance was due to go on maternity leave so I decided to change bikes before the money dried up. I was selling a 26" full suss and thought I'd end up on a 650b fs at some point but I got a 29" fs at a good price so thought I'd get it in the mean time before buying the bike I really wanted when we had money again.
My fiance goes back to work in the new year so I demo'd a few bikes recently including the 650b version of what I have now. It was great and I'd have 650b over 26" but to be honest I prefer the 29" now. The benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Re:

Well I think I can say for certain that they will all be a round for a fair while. :facepalm:

Re:

As for which size will win out...... 650b I reckon as 29" will always scare some off and a bad 29er would amplify the differences. Also, everyone's pushing 650b so that'll do it. For new bikes 26" is dead I'm afraid, at least in the short to mid term.

Re:

If I had to choose just one mtb from my collection, it would he one of the 26" wheel, steel framed rigids. Why? Because at nearly 47 I'm never going to win a race, which i would be more competitive on, on a 29" bike. Purely because you can get away with bad lines on one , consequently you'll go faster knowing that.
26" wheeled bikes require more rider input, meaning more satisfaction at my fantastic handling skills. Steel, as I find it more comfortable than alloy, and rigid, to keep the bingo wings at bay :LOL:
Not tried 27.5" yet. Why should I? I get plenty of smiles from the bikes I have.

Mike

I'm just building a 5"-tyred, rigid fatty. In 5-years time, 2.75-3" will be regular MTB tyres and folks will wonder why we rode around on such skinny tyres. I already have a 29er plus with 3" wide tyres - recently sold my regular-wheeled 29er.

I'm thinking that I'll park my plans for a new bike for now, and stick with the 'proper' wheel size. I'd much rather feel a sense of achievement than feel the bike achieved for me, though front suspension is needed due to comfort for my ageing body. Can't be as good as Mike despite my relative youth and stick with rigid.

Appreciate all the input and views so far though.

I think 650b has won out already. Nearly all current bikes from the mainstream bike makers are using this size, just with a few 26ers at the bottom end and a smattering of 29ers to compliment. As a long time MTB rider, I've got a lot of affection for 559 and still see nothing wrong with it as such ~ my next bike will be based on what comes up at an affordable price, not wheel size.
I've ridden a few 29s and find them heavy and ponderous so can't see myself going for that. The 650b though feels fine ~ really not much different to 26 so I'd be quite happy to embrace the new size.

Re:

I know the feeling mate ! :LOL:
You just allow for the fact that you're on a rigid and take it steadier on the downhills. Up hills is a blast, as it's lighter. If I want a fast, short ride, up to around 3 hrs, I take the Fisher Kaitai 26" as it has some front sus, but being alloy is bloody stiff, therefore direct and hard on your back .
i only use my 29er for night time group rides with the modern crowd

Mike

Latest posts

Back