Which (Modern) to sell

Mr Scruff

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Through my own stupidity/poor impulse control I’ve ended up with 3 bikes that fulfill a very similar role. Keeping all 3 is simply not an option so fishing for a bit of advice (or maybe people to tell me what I already know ;))

1) 2021 Boardman MTR 9.0 29”
Only bike I’ve bought new, and it’s great. 4 pot SLX brakes, 1x12 drivetrain. 150mm Pike Select at the front and 145mm Deluxe Select Plus at the back. Brilliant winter bike, heaviest of the 3 though - and feels it at times (graceful it is not). Lowliest pedigree of the bunch.

2) 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTC 29”
Also running 150mm Pike Select, paired with 135mm Fox Factory CTD. 1x11 M8000 XT groupset with a smattering of Hope goodies (carbon bars, E4/Tech 3 brakes, Pro2 Evo hubs). Lightest of the 3 (almost 2kg less than the Boardman), and pretty rare too, but 69 degree head angle and 437mm reach perhaps a bit old fashioned.

3) 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson CC 27.5”
Once again, 150mm Pike Select front, 150mm Monarch Plus at the back though. M8000 XT again, 2x11, and M8000 brakes. Middle of the three in terms of weight. Shares the same 66 degree head angle as the Boardman - reach is less than Boardman but more than Tallboy (reach is important to me, as I’m tall and old!). Only 27.5 I own, and stand over is almost ridiculously low for my height

I do have a Mk7 Chameleon (I like Santa Cruz) which isn’t going anywhere, nor is my old P7. All my bikes are XL sized, so appropriate for my height.

Idle musings on a Sunday night, interested in peoples thoughts. Much to my surprise I think the Tallboy might be the weakest link for me.

Of course, then the question is, if I do move on the Tallboy do I take the Hope brakes and bars off…?

Kid’s bikes have 437mm reach these days!
Only one worth keeping is the Boardman, geometry is king these days and trumps weight IMO. Most of the weight difference will be in the wheels and tyres. Have you though about swapping the Hope parts and the Tallboy wheels onto the Boardman? May need a free hub swap to use the different cassette but apart from that an easy experiment to try.
Just splurged on a set of carbon wheels and lighter tyres for my Transition, saving 1.2kg. It’s still a 14kg bike but the difference on the way it rides is marked.

I would personally keep the Tallboy. Geometry isnt everything. I dont like the newer geometry fas as i find the bikes arent as playful. I come from a jump trail background and the long, low slack is not playful.
For you, it would be best to take all three to your favourite trail, and ride all 3 back to back and see whcih one feels best and bingo, thats the one. It might be the bronson being the smaller wheeled is more fun.
I presume the chameleon is 29?

Interesting... Prob worth making clear I only need to sell 1 of the three.

@The Kilt , yes, the Chameleon is 29". Love that thing, makes me laugh like an idiot. And of course you're right in riding the same trail for all 3 back to back

@clubby did consider that, but the Tallboy 142mm/non boost. Boardman is boost. Understand where you're coming from weight v's geo, but don't think I agree. I do quite a bit of climbing and do think you feel the impact of the additional weight.

Thanks for the responses, it's good to get different opinions.

Anything 2017 or less isn’t really that modern now in terms of geometry so I’d personally move them along whilst they still are new enough to have some value. The two SC bikes will still fetch decent ish money as the brand is well known and desired.

Boardman do nothing for me so I can’t get excited which means I’d never ride it.

Sell all 3 and buy a modern SC which ticks every box?

Anything 2017 or less isn’t really that modern now in terms of geometry so I’d personally move them along whilst they still are new enough to have some value. The two SC bikes will still fetch decent ish money as the brand is well known and desired.

Struggled to sell my 2016 5010 last spring, took £500 less than I was asking just to get shot of it.

@Mr Scruff , I get where you are coming from but more climbing means more descending and that’s where my priorities lie. Lots of my climbing is more technical and I’m not sure weight is as much a factor as if you’re hammering fire roads. Totally appreciate that everyone rides differently and it will not be the same for you.

Shame about the wheels but for me that’s more of a reason to sell the Tallboy before it’s completely obsolete. You say you don’t have to sell two, but what does the Bronson do that the others don’t? If you like the Boardman, keep it as a winter bike you don’t care about destroying, sell the SC’s and buy something nice and light. I loved my two Santa Cruz, but they’ve priced themselves into the stratosphere. For me, Transition are the new Santa Cruz. Small company producing progressive bikes at a reasonable price. My alloy Sentinel was a grand less than the nearest equivalent SC and better specced.

Out of interest, how tall are you? I’m 5’9 (short legs, long body) and find 570-580mm reach my happy place these days. I know you said all the bikes are XL and appropriately sized, but older Santa Cruz were pretty small. I almost bought an XL based on reach but couldn’t get the dropper post low enough in the frame.

You answered it yourself, sell the Tallboy but replace any parts you want to keep. I may be biased though as I tested a TB back in 14/15 and really didn't like it. Also, it's too short, too steep and too old.

Personally I'd probably sell the Bronson too and then buy the best SC I could with the funds raised. Doesn't seem you are that attached to either so replace them with something lovely.

Thanks all, think consolidated my thoughts that the TallBoy, although awesome (and it really is), is the weakest link here.

The Bronson is my ‘bike voted most likely to crash’ as it encourages you to push faster and faster through the twisties. Boardman is a powerhouse of a bike, just flattens everything (which is what I like in winter riding) and the Chameleon is a full-on laugh machine.

Appreciate the thoughts and feedback, it’s good to get some different viewpoints.

I will miss that TallBoy though…

Back