Which Claud is my Claud?

Not sure if you ever established an I D for this but I can tell you that it is a little earlier in date than has been suggested. By my calculation the frame number would indicate a date of probably 1960 - possibly early 1961. As far as I can establish from known dateable frames Holdsworth started production of Claud Butler frames (from number zero) in about August 1958 following the purchase of the trade name and designs. The sales were excellent and the average estimate for the first 3-4 years was some 4500 frames each year. Kilgariff suggests that CB frames sold at a ratio of 3 : 1 over Holdsworth frames and it is known that Holdsworth frames were selling at this time at a rate of perhaps 1500 per annum - so it fits. In have recently had H Lloyd re create the correct decal for the earlier CB frames (very similar to the blue panel classic design that we all know and love - but with no white panel with Clapham at the bottom - but SE20 instead) What I have no been able to establish is a date for the change from this decal to the Olympic Badge style (in the wrong colours due to copyright reasons ?) You may be able to identify the model if you study the 1959 & 1961 catalogues on Norman Kilgariff's excellent site.

Hello Dillo 27,
Here are some shots of my Coureur in the Belgian colour scheme, frame number #9081. I’m pretty sure it’s a ’61 although it is possible it might be a ’62. The Nervux lugs are different to what you have but with your number being less than 3000 frames latter, I guess you are looking at a ’62 as by ’63 the French Prugnat lugs had come in.
So for my 2 peneth I’m going for a ‘62 European

Also I'm pretty sure this transistion to the Prugnat lugs brought in the olympic rings (with yellow far left) seat tube transfer as per my sons '69 Electron super five (see yellow photo)

Attachments

• Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 f.jpeg
    Claud Butler Electron Super five 1969 f.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 213
  • '61Coureur#9081 (2).jpeg
    '61Coureur#9081 (2).jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 213
  • '61Coureur#9081 (3).jpeg
    '61Coureur#9081 (3).jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 213
  • '61Coureur#9081 (1).jpeg
    '61Coureur#9081 (1).jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 213
  • European62.jpg
    European62.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 213
Thanks guys the detailed info here is very impressive and certainly narrows down a lot the year and model of my frame. Brilliant responses!
I will follow up on the Kilgariff site lead.

Latest posts

Back