Where can you get cleats for toe clips?

foz":3fhqeop1 said:
I didn't realise these need special cleats :facepalm: I have a set for my Batavus, but thought they just neede standard cleats.
You don't need special cleats.

I had a pair when they came out, the prongs on the front of the original cleats broke off within weeks and made no difference to how the pedal/cleat worked. The slotted cleats i bought when the originals wore out worked perfectly as well.

mattr":2c8momx9 said:
foz":2c8momx9 said:
I didn't realise these need special cleats :facepalm: I have a set for my Batavus, but thought they just neede standard cleats.
You don't need special cleats.

I had a pair when they came out, the prongs on the front of the original cleats broke off within weeks and made no difference to how the pedal/cleat worked. The slotted cleats i bought when the originals wore out worked perfectly as well.

That's good to know, thanks

Mike

Re:

The code for those cleats is SM PD64 I think they fit the dura ace and 600 pedals.
A few on ebay from time to time but think those dura ace pedals are still popular for sprinters on track (combined with straps they are super secure = not easy to get out of also) so they are usually about £20+

there was also a two part version where the front bit was separate...cant remember code for those.

Planet X do some cheap track cleats also but don't think they are right type.

have you considered these?
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tocleat.html
BLUCLEA3.JPG

You can get(somewhere?) slotted shoe plates for 3 bolt modern shoes. I have a set that came on some NOS Vittoria shoes I got at a jumble. Guess they were from that transition period. I am sure that I have seen such a thing on the web somewhere.

Those Yellow Jersey cleats are the only ones I could find in current production. The Exustar and/or Keirin track cleats won't work well, I think, as they're not designed to slide in and out easily. The trouble with the Yellow Jersey ones is that they have no European distributor, and shipping costs nearly as much as the cleats. If anyone else was interested in joining in, I'd be happy to organise a group buy. From memory they're about $30 a set, with shipping at $19, so it starts to make sense if we're buying three sets. Post here or PM me if interested.

mattsccm":22d4atzo said:
You can get(somewhere?) slotted shoe plates for 3 bolt modern shoes. I have a set that came on some NOS Vittoria shoes I got at a jumble. Guess they were from that transition period. I am sure that I have seen such a thing on the web somewhere.
Think someone posted on Page 2 but.......

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... ck-cleats/

They'll fit. Use the rearmost two bolts on a delta pattern shoe. Slot behind the bolts.
The slot *might* be a bit tight, 10 seconds with a file will sort that.

Or a plastic version.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... ck-cleats/

Think they do an SPD-R version as well.

Re:

I have used the Exustar plastic cleats as sold by SJS cycles for two years now, there is no problem getting out of the pedal.

Re: Re:

PerB":29ua43mx said:
I have used the Exustar plastic cleats as sold by SJS cycles for two years now, there is no problem getting out of the pedal.
But aren't those cleats effectively backwards? Surely the yellow taper needs to point towards the front of the pedal, which puts the slot ahead of the bolts, which surely means it won't be in the right place to engage with the back of the pedal?

Re:

But aren't those cleats effectively backwards? Surely the yellow taper needs to point towards the front of the pedal, which puts the slot ahead of the bolts, which surely means it won't be in the right place to engage with the back of the pedal?

No the slot goes behind the bolts, have a look some posts higher to see similar cleats installed. One small note, this type of cleats are quite wide and for some narrow pedals it's not possible to use them, for instance I can not use them on the BSA pedals on my 1960 BSA Golden Fifty.

Back