Where are we getting decent 7spd and 8spd freewheels from nowadays?

Shimano 7s are fine really. Although sometimes you can only get the stupid ones with the larger gap between 1&2 to fit some advertising slogan imo. But a yearly drop of oil and they'll do 1000s of miles.

8 speed freewheel is surely the work of the devil.
All that axle hanging out of the wheel bearing, begging for trouble. It's why we got the freehub.
Usually the 8 speed freewheel was fitted to cheap bikes to make them 24speed so punters who had been told a 24 speed bike was better than 21, (because it should have a cassette drivetrain) could be fleeced by the likes of halfords, who used to occupy the space now taken by amazon - selling tomorrow's rubbish.
Consequently most 8sp fws are/were rubbish.
Sachs used to make a good one though.

I have a bunch of non cassette Ringle hubs for screw in freewheels
I guess I’d better search for some SACHS ones if I want to run M900 XTR shifters 😢

Shimano 7s are fine really. Although sometimes you can only get the stupid ones with the larger gap between 1&2 to fit some advertising slogan imo. But a yearly drop of oil and they'll do 1000s of miles.

8 speed freewheel is surely the work of the devil.
All that axle hanging out of the wheel bearing, begging for trouble. It's why we got the freehub.
Usually the 8 speed freewheel was fitted to cheap bikes to make them 24speed so punters who had been told a 24 speed bike was better than 21, (because it should have a cassette drivetrain) could be fleeced by the likes of halfords, who used to occupy the space now taken by amazon - selling tomorrow's rubbish.
Consequently most 8sp fws are/were rubbish.
Sachs used to make a good one though.
Just PM’d you 👍

Back