When were Emtb's first introduced ?- Debate

Re:

that video says the 'dale with wheel drive was 89ish, as in the picture.

the 1995 was the date that company Haibike started up and during that time started designing e-bikes, but not until Bosch in 2009 made the frame mount pedal assist motors you are looking for, they started to be produced in production and brought to market/expos in 2010

Not sure what you are looking for, little non-production builds, one offs using primitive motor setups.
eRoadbikes, eFatPeopleBikes-GreyShopperBike?

Do you not believe the history they give you? From Haibike and an ebike site (I can understand that, but there sees to be nobody else claiming production mid mount pedal assist eMTB's before then)

What's interesting is this is 10 years after Shimano had electronic shifting and adaptive suspension on bikes, (original di2) whatever happened to electronic adaptive suspension?

Other than what's presented, I couldn't give you any midmount assist production ebikes.

Wheeled bikes and cobbled together and not MTB is probably much easier, maybe try the ebike sites forum?

Re: Re:

ishaw":2xl1w3pq said:
The first time I encountered one in real life must have been about 10 years ago. I was commuting home and a guy flew past me on one. He had a huge cello case strapped to his back and was pedalling away with the hum of electric assist. He must have been doing around 40mph with no real pedalling effort.

Was that an MTB?
it wasn't assist if doing 40mph but a electric motorbike (under current law and I believe the old law back then).
Mainly as at 15.5mph all assist is cut off, so you are pedalling a heavy bike manually from 15.5 mph to 40mph.
Otherwise it is not a bicycle, but a motorbike.

I think we have to bear in mind that the UK/US experience is not necessarily the same as other parts of the world.

I think of e-bikes as gaining mainstream appeal more quickly in Asia (esp China) and mainland Europe (Germany & Netherlands in particular) - perhaps because of wider adoption and acceptance of cycling as a transport tool in general? If you are regularly lugging loads around or simply see the cycle as a way of getting from A-B for all ages and abilities, then it's hardly surprising that cultural acceptance of e-assist is easier. Even now there's a certain snobbishness in the UK about electric assist (something I was guilty of up until a few years ago).

Lastly on absence from MTB mags. In my experience, most mags are little more than advertorial and heavily dictated by what manufacturers offer them to review (and traditionally dominated by UK/US brands). I daresay budget plays a big part of that decision. I doubt it would have occurred to contact an unknown german manufacturer in the early 2010s to try out their eMTB - even if they'd heard of it.

greencat":1mcrm3wp said:
I think we have to bear in mind that the UK/US experience is not necessarily the same as other parts of the world.

I think of e-bikes as gaining mainstream appeal more quickly in Asia (esp China) and mainland Europe (Germany & Netherlands in particular) - perhaps because of wider adoption and acceptance of cycling as a transport tool in general? If you are regularly lugging loads around or simply see the cycle as a way of getting from A-B for all ages and abilities, then it's hardly surprising that cultural acceptance of e-assist is easier. Even now there's a certain snobbishness in the UK about electric assist (something I was guilty of up until a few years ago).

Lastly on absence from MTB mags. In my experience, most mags are little more than advertorial and heavily dictated by what manufacturers offer them to review (and traditionally dominated by UK/US brands). I daresay budget plays a big part of that decision. I doubt it would have occurred to contact an unknown german manufacturer in the early 2010s to try out their eMTB - even if they'd heard of it.

We're talking eMTB, the e-assist have been around for sometime before that, many as shopper bikes for commuting

If you're on the loo, have a gander over this interesting site
https://www.electricbike.com/e-bike-pat ... the-1800s/

FluffyChicken":2i2buohb said:
ishaw":2i2buohb said:
The first time I encountered one in real life must have been about 10 years ago. I was commuting home and a guy flew past me on one. He had a huge cello case strapped to his back and was pedalling away with the hum of electric assist. He must have been doing around 40mph with no real pedalling effort.

Was that an MTB?
it wasn't assist if doing 40mph but a electric motorbike (under current law and I believe the old law back then).
Mainly as at 15.5mph all assist is cut off, so you are pedalling a heavy bike manually from 15.5 mph to 40mph.
Definitely not a motorbike, I know the difference between a bike and one.

It was definitely a 'push bike' and the rider was definitely pedalling with assist when he overtook and flew off into the distance.

It may not have been an mtb though, but it was certainly no e-motorbike.

It is interesting that even in the 19th century, they were thinking Fk this for a game of soldiers when it came to pedaling, more likely the uphill bits :LOL:

ishaw":1up1sgu8 said:
FluffyChicken":1up1sgu8 said:
ishaw":1up1sgu8 said:

Was that an MTB?
Definitely not a motorbike, I know the difference between a bike and one.

It was definitely a 'push bike' and the rider was definitely pedalling with assist when he overtook and flew off into the distance.

It may not have been an mtb though, but it was certainly no e-motorbike.

A motorbike is a motorised two wheeled vehicle.

That bike was not being assisted at 40mph or even 30 or 20mph, if it *was* it was still being powered by the motor past the 15.5mph and hence *is* a motorbike under the rules. needs to be taxed, reg plate, a helmet and CBT, indicators.
in the UK.

A motorbike is not just a fossil fuel powered vehicle with a body kit on.

Re:

I know, and it was still being assisted, but despite you not being there, you seem to know all about my encounter.

Many things are built to do more than the law allows, and many are tampered with to remove the restrictions placed on them.

Based on the limited description you've mentioned, e-scooters are motorbikes in your eyes.

I can't be arsed to argue the toss with you about my experience and what I saw, as it is just that and you have f*ck all knowledge of it.

Carry on, I'm out.

ishaw":3w0lspux said:
I know, and it was still being assisted, but despite you not being there, you seem to know all about my encounter.

Many things are built to do more than the law allows, and many are tampered with to remove the restrictions placed on them.

Based on the limited description you've mentioned, e-scooters are motorbikes in your eyes.

I can't be arsed to argue the toss with you about my experience and what I saw, as it is just that and you have f*ck all knowledge of it.

Carry on, I'm out.
It the law that dictates what is what, not me.
If you believe a "bike" traveling at 40mph with an engine running is a push bike, then so be it

The law does not.

No I was not there, I can only go off your description, even if it was a Kona Hahanna fitted with electronic gear, it then becomes a motorbike.
Any accident, caught by police and its point an license/money.
One around here had been done recently.

Re:

e-scooters come under a different law and is currently being altered iirc.

Unless you mean the scooters you sit down on, at which point, yes motorbikes/motorcycles.

anyway, on with the history.

Back