When were Emtb's first introduced ?- Debate

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Well its basically im needing the info due to a foreseen argument im going to have shortly :LOL:

Looking through my collection of MBUK,MBR etc which goes up to about late 2017 theres not a jot about anything electric. Carbon, 27'5 with some 29" better forks etc,but nowt reviewing or advertising electric versions.

I think it was or starting to be advertised 2018 or thereabouts.

Sure there were add on models where you diy fitted a hub motor/battery, and ebay was always full of those, or in bits to be more precise, for commuters in the EU and US and the beardy weirdies, but specific mid drive motors I think was far later on, and I think their introduction was specifically for MTB's (maybe the lack of a triple front :LOL: people finding it hard to get up the hill with a 1x set up.

First E-powered was 1898, but im more interested in mtbs history. Trail, AM types, and more specifically mid drive motors.

So anyone know , or do I have to phone a couple of manufacturers and ask them :?

I don't read magazines so can't comment on adverts but Mrs got her Giant Dirt-E hardtail in the summer of 2017.

greencat":afemt60x said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlLjLdfgmwI

About 2010 from Haibike apparently. Certainly they look recognisably like the integrated e-mountain bikes of today. Bosch mid-drive motor seems to have come out about 2009.

Do this mean the OP wins or loses their argument? :LOL:

Neither, its just as a counter as i can see a '1995' being banded about. But when did you ever see the like riding anywhere ?, certainly nobody I've ridden with in the last 20 years has rode or even talked about such a notion. Plus the lack of any info in any of the mtb mags of the era, makes me think it was just too niche and not mainstream at all.

dyna-ti":38ixp8jt said:
greencat":38ixp8jt said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlLjLdfgmwI

About 2010 from Haibike apparently. Certainly they look recognisably like the integrated e-mountain bikes of today. Bosch mid-drive motor seems to have come out about 2009.

Do this mean the OP wins or loses their argument? :LOL:

Neither, its just as a counter as i can see a '1995' being banded about. But when did you ever see the like riding anywhere ?, certainly nobody I've ridden with in the last 20 years has rode or even talked about such a notion. Plus the lack of any info in any of the mtb mags of the era, makes me think it was just too niche and not mainstream at all.

If you watched the video ( linked here on their site ) https://www.embn.com/video/the-history- ... ntain-bike
you'll see where 1995 came along, though they had been attached to MTBs before that.
Still eMTB properly was not until Bosch brought their stuff out ... well the video seems to explain that.

Well given that I suppose we maybe should exclude cobbled together nonsense and list the above etc in the same league as the 1881 lead battery tandem, or such.

I think I'd go with the later, specifc mtb, of the type we see and im buying these days. In fact anyone got a pic of a internal frame battery with built in mid drive motor thats pre 2010 ?.

Re:

The first time I encountered one in real life must have been about 10 years ago. I was commuting home and a guy flew past me on one. He had a huge cello case strapped to his back and was pedalling away with the hum of electric assist. He must have been doing around 40mph with no real pedalling effort.

Back