When is an MTB not an MTB - When its Old Apparently !

But 'mountain bikes' are only meant for trail centres, surely? Nobody would be riding anywhere away from these would they? That would be madness!

Re:

Absolutely.

I only took up cycling so I could drive for miles in order to ride my bike. :D

Where else would I ride in Shropshire??

Re:

Well you know; it's clearly the brakes that limit the stopping power on a bike with skinny slick tyres. :D

Re:

Even the Weinmann 500s would lock the wheels on my first "proper" road bike, just about.

If you've never experienced the awesome, terrifying (lack of) power of the Weinmann 500, you haven't lived.

The only good thing about them was that they were light, primarily because they were so flimsy, so they were popular on time trial bikes, where you don't brake often. They would remain correctly centred and adjusted so that they didn't rub on the rim until they were used, thereafter one or other brake block would rub. The front brake was easily remedied, you could just reach down and push the brake off the rim, but the rear brake was more tricky.

08E7CBEB-A87D-4FAD-87F3-D122E3942413.jpeg

I like this; it's orange.

313935d1462303457-road-plus-wide-tires-allroad-bike-t-intro.jpg

I was posh. I had Raleigh weinmann 610? centre pull. Now they were a step up in crapness.

As an aside, can you id my first road bike. We called them racers. A black Raleigh with gold detailing and the weinmann centre pull. Think it was ten speed. It would be 1977.

It was a 21” frame. I was eleven. I loved that bike.

Re:

when we did the the cycle show we just opened the van doors and we could not get near it for people exhibiting from the show,

when the show was in full swing we saw lads and dads stopping and the dads giving the lads a history lesion about are retro rides.

we took some a blast around the mtb course and murdered some of the guys on there 29Rs, and got cheers and people stopping to check out the proflex and my WCF

Re:

If you've never experienced the awesome, terrifying (lack of) power of the Weinmann 500, you haven't lived.

If you had a frame in the '70s with close enough clearances to accept Weinmann 500s without complaint, chances are your brakes were more effective than 90% of bike riders at the time.. :)

Back