When did Shimano introduce V-Brakes?

I think XT M739 came out slightly before LX M600, so it's slightly more retro-suitable, but it was M600 that spread like wildfire. They really work fine. And BITD, so many 94 Lava Domes would have had M600 fitted in 1997 as a Christmas present!

But it can be easier sometimes to find XT on eBay, maybe people don't think it's worth bothering to sell old LX.

I brought some Dia-compe V brakes soon after they came out in 96'ish.
They had curved arms which looked more funky than the Shimano ones. (well I though so anyway).

Im in a similar boat , Have got a 1994 frame that I would like to be period correct but have a later (1996-ish) groupset that would drop straight on it?? :? Love the idea of cantis but its going to be a rider so is the V`s just going to be the sensible option?

I am going for simplicity, so would prefer V's to Magura, but would like something light and a bit special. :)

Avid ultimates are good and I remembered last night that my mate had a pair on an old bike, but it turns out that his local bike shop kept them when he had discs fitted and he never asked for them back! D'oh!! :cry:

daj":32vuts9w said:
Im in a similar boat , Have got a 1994 frame that I would like to be period correct but have a later (1996-ish) groupset that would drop straight on it?? :? Love the idea of cantis but its going to be a rider so is the V`s just going to be the sensible option?

If you do decide to go with cantis, you can buy mine (including Kona levers) as they are original to the bike. :) Will also be selling the original Kona bars, stem, wheels (need a service), tyres (pretty worn) and seat post. The bike was totally original when I got it, so it was a shame to change it, but I'm on the upgrade train and can't get off! :)

It would cover the cost of the V's! :)

is there any real advantage to the shimano "parallel push" design on XTR and earlier XT v-brakes?

BarneyRubble":1w56l01m said:
I am going for simplicity, so would prefer V's to Magura, but would like something light and a bit special. :)

Maguras require a bit of care to set up but after that nothing further is necessary. The pads are a snap fit. I changed 4 pads last Saturday in 5 minutes....

The hydraulics on the first bike I fitted with them have been untouched for 12 years. Beat that with any cable system!!!

Back