Wheelbuilding issue

First wheel I ever built was like this. I left it. Its still like this 15+ years later. Reminds me of my own fallibility.
That’s ok. I‘ve seen new wheels that were built that way. Not worth valuable seconds of your life fixing it. Good enough. Done is better than perfect.

That’s ok. I‘ve seen new wheels that were built that way. Not worth valuable seconds of your life fixing it. Good enough. Done is better than perfect.
I've built many many wheels since for many many people.

That one reminds me that I can't be right all the time.

It still runs true, lives on the bent these days but I might weld disc tabs on that soon, then it will be retired.

D521 32 hole on a shimano deore hub. Bomb proof.

Aye, but its been months apart.
If there’s a salient lesson here, its that I laced this one without instructions.
“I know what I’m doing now, don’t need no instructions me.”
One lesson I learned some time ago was to take photos/videos before I take anything apart, so I at least have a reference point for when it needs to go back together.

Having said that, it’s more than fifty years since I last built a wheel!

Reactions: Woz
I've built many many wheels since for many many people.

That one reminds me that I can't be right all the time.

It still runs true, lives on the bent these days but I might weld disc tabs on that soon, then it will be retired.

D521 32 hole on a shimano deore hub. Bomb proof.
I’ve got D521s on Hope Big uns. Chunky

I know what I did now. I built it in the Sheldon manner, then with the first 18 in, twisted the hub anti clockwise to make the inner flange spoke “leading”. That meant the non drive side was one hole out when twisted the other way.

Much like Captain Smith on the Titanic “oh I know, we went too fast and too North. Doh”

I understand why Sheldon published that method as it avoids the need to fiddle the inward-facing non-drive side spokes through laced drive-side spokes but it can make things a bit hit-or-miss.

Back