Wheelbuilding issue

Supratada

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Currently building rear wheel for my Record Sprint, 36 hole 3 cross. I’ve gone trailing spoke outside, as that’s the way I’ve always done it.
The spokes that came off were 300 and 299mm, and there were threads poking out back of nipples so in ordering new spokes, I’ve got 298 and 296mm

I’ve got this weird situation now when with a bit of tension into the wheel and dishing set correctly, the none drive spokes are showing a lot of thread on the inner flange ones but the trailers are at the back of the nipple now.

On the drive side, though no threads are showing, there is a disparity of tension between inner and outer flange spokes.
I’ve checked lengths to make sure ive not messed up the shorter ones and its all ok.

Whasser gwan on?

Attachments

• FD516C70-5A07-435C-AB4D-C4F2A7CD88C2.jpeg
    FD516C70-5A07-435C-AB4D-C4F2A7CD88C2.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 14519D01-B3D6-4D46-825D-B04E1D700B6D.jpeg
    14519D01-B3D6-4D46-825D-B04E1D700B6D.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 24
I can't see the hub too clearly but at a guess I'd say that you have the non-drive flange spokes offset by one hub spoke hole in a clockwise direction.

Yeah. When I line up and look through at the base of my key spoke, the next one clockwise on the other flange is going the other way.
Cobblers. Thats a strip down then.

Isn't the general advice to re-lace a used hub the same as it was originally?

I have built at least 50 wheels. But since I don’t do it daily for a living I make an occasional mistake. When something like what your experiencing happens to me it’s always been a mistake in lacing. Easy to do, especially if your interrupted by people. The easiest fix is to take it all apart and start again. I have to fix one that I just built, the rear is fine, the front has to be disassembled and respoked, mistake there. looks like you did the right thing with the spoke length.

It looks to me as if the spoke holes are nearly opposite each other, perhaps the hub has been twisted a bit, or made like it. Not uncommon on solid centre hubs.
Obviously spoke holes one side should line up exactly between those on the opposite side. You can adjust the spoke lengths, or attempt to correct it.
You will not find any difference in wheel performance.
Seems a pity everyone uses tree trunks for spokes, back in the 60s we rarely used more than 15/17 G butted. 14/16 for heavy riders, and 12/14 for tandems.

Keith

Back