What's the fastest you've ever gone?

When the SR-71 landed at Duxford they had all intentions of ground running it but never did because of costs and fuel leaks.

The engines are still with 17962 but taken out and are on display underneath it.

Back in the early 80s a bunch of were pulled over for going through a speed trap on Cromford Hill at 54mph, very nice copper, he just though we'd like to know how fast we were going! Oh and that wasn't at our fastest, the speed trap was just in side the limit signs and we'd be pedaling flat out as far as the quarry before we needed to hit the brakes.

BITD I remember a few of us were determined to reach the 67 mph limit of a Avocet 20 on
the A53 Winking Man descent towards Leek. :facepalm:

Re: Re:

Al3xander":2tjryknc said:
andyz":2tjryknc said:
M-Power":2tjryknc said:
there is a SR71 Blackbird in Duxford ? Fr1ckin ell always wanted to see my all time fav plane :cool:

Its there alright, but engineless. :oops: Better than nothing though. :D

So long as you've got the SR-71 Haynes manual, should be easy enough to drop a new one in, I'd have thought:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0857331566/r ... 4020O8RK5V

Good point, I've set up an eBay search for one, shouldn't be long now ;)

Tum de tum de de tum de tim de, nope nothing yet, come on SR 71 jet engines. Surely easier to find than a NOS Syncros 36T chainring :facepalm:

Re: Re:

andyz":1zrowiep said:
M-Power":1zrowiep said:
You are sh1ttin me :shock: there is a SR71 Blackbird in Duxford ? Fr1ckin ell always wanted to see my all time fav plane :cool:

Its there alright, but engineless. :oops: Better than nothing though. :D

47083378.jpg

Coolest most menacing plane ever and they were so dangerous to fly. I used to look forward to finding this one in the old plane Top Trumps bitd, the plane equivalent of the Countach :LOL:

31.9 mph downhill this afternoon

not really fast you say ..? true..!

but i'd put the very old Schwalbe Lugano 23c onto the steel RIGIDA wheels
[complete with all their surface cuts] for a spin on the Peugeot
plus with the aged Michelin inner tubes with their several puncture patches - and suddenly i though

jeeeeeeeeeeeez............ :facepalm:

came home and just ordered new tyres and tubes......... :oops: ... :!:

Yardbent":lxiwonqk said:
but i'd put the very old Schwalbe Lugano 23c onto the steel RIGIDA wheels
[complete with all their surface cuts] for a spin on the Peugeot
plus with the aged Michelin inner tubes with their several puncture patches - and suddenly i though
jeeeeeeeeeeeez............ :facepalm:
came home and just ordered new tyres and tubes......... :oops: ... :!:
You know my friend is like that! I'm all for patching up tubes but when the tyres are
shot from either being worn - badly cracked -rips, then the time has come to replace
them, after all you wouldn't use motorcycle & car tyres in such a condition, So for me
having good condition tyres fitted to my bikes is a serious concern! To me anyway.

Fastest I've ever gone was when I bought a dismantled Stratocaster type electric guitar and put it in my backpack with the neck sticking out. Coming home there's a steep drop where you can touch around 50mph freewheeling

On this occasion there was a strong tailwind, plus with the the added weight of the guitar the speed picked up fast - the front wheel began to vibrate as the rpm magnified the imbalance (this has never happened before or since).

If anyone wants to try this just swap the guitar for lead (as they used to do in the TDF). :)

I was desperatley hanging on at 35mph on the flat in a race pack a couple of months ago. That did not last too long. The hills in suffolk are not steep enough for anything above 44mph actually must try and beat that.

This morning I hit just under 58mph on my jake. Needless to say, everything clenched. And I was feathering the rear brake.

I wonder what I could do on the road bike and without the headwind/rucksack.

ric":23zaj99u said:
If anyone wants to try this just swap the guitar for lead (as they used to do in the TDF). :)

What difference would a guitar lead make? ;)

Back