Whats the best 8 speed shifter

Re:

Srt-600, Sachs/SRAM waveys all work well an are light.

M900 are crap as are the similar first RF+ and before shifters.

STX-RC/Alivio are really nice.
M739 are pants and snap and have crap levers.

I would assume modern 8sp shifters based on the M750 paddle shifter will be excellent.

Thumbies should all be melted down and used as curtain weights.

Re:

Agree with Fluffy on this, except perhaps the bit about all thumbies and curtain weights.
Having used all of the following I'll offer my opinion.

SRAM ESP Gripshift are very good with nice clean cables. (If you can get on with Gripshift)

Sachs Wavey also very good even with less than clean cables. (As above)

XT M739 and M740 shifters are just too fragile. I've broken three right hand shifters.

Suntour XC Pro. Great thumbshifters which were designed for use with 8 speed.

XT/Deore 7 speed thumbies with extra click. Not as great as some would have you believe. The indexing isn't quite compatible with 8 speed cassettes so some gear shifts are compromised. Great with 7 speed though.

Pre 1995/96 8 speed Rapidfire shifters have a very short cable throw which isn't great. I never liked them.

Alivio 8 speed shifters are a bit clunky and agricultural feeling. They do have a very positive shift feeling though

The best I have used are STX-RC. Positive, accurate and durable.

More modern SRAM X5 shifters. 1:1 actuation ratio means they are compatible with any older ESP mechs and the modern ones.

Re:

Can't beat that pump action shotgun ricochet clunk accelerating through the gears with old DX 7speed thumbies. Still perform everyday like a good un since 1992. Run 7speed on index and 8/9speed on friction (sweet silent stealth mode).

Missing the Campagnolo 8 speed thumbies here. Not sure if they are compatible with Shimano systems, but I love the way they shift on Record O.R. gear.

Sachs Quarz or Plasma are brilliant 8 sp shifters and Shimano compatible.
Suntour XC Pro thumbies.

Both of these have impeccable build quality and performance.
Other units may shift better but are weak and poor in build.

Re:

Shimano or Suntour thumbshifters…
Good alternative are road shifters on Paul collar too

Re:

Fraid I'm gonna have to fall out with LGF. I was gonna throw in gripshift, as I don't rate any other mtb shifter (I find the plastic shimano 6 spd thumby reliable, but that's irrelevant here). Gripshift is an arse to install new cables, but once done you're laughing. And nothing on top of the bars so you can install lights etc

Back