What would you do? Retro Vs modern.....

Lots of valid points, but all missing the obvious. What you "need" to do is build the RTS. Keep the Orange and sell everything else to put into the build. You say you have f&f, group sets and new mavics, so that's a lot of the way there. Yes, nice nos parts will cost you but they're not going to get any cheaper. Even if you don't use it much it'll make a lovely wall hanger and can be sold at a later date. Modern bikes will always be there. I only ride my STS once a year or so, but got so much out of the process of restoring it.
Oh, and get a dehumidifier for the garage.

Re:

Bin em all and get a modern gravel bike like the Cannondale Slate - its the fashionable thing to do.

(No ones told the roadies yet that they are basically buying an early 90's drop bar MTB. Ssshhhh).

Honesty compels me to admit that the C2W Road bike I ordered turned up last week and I flogged to Vit T to fund some upgrades. :facepalm:

xxnick1975":16aj4i9r said:
In general, I think new bikes are a lot cheaper than in the early 90s
Ok maybe for everyday stuff, but the high end bikes have become unreacheable £10k for a top end specialized? You can buy a new car for that!

Keep the Clockwork, mount the RTS on the wall as art, sell the rest, buy the modern hardtail and ride it. My Voodoo technically counts as retro in my eyes as it's effectively a late '90s Kona geometry-wise, with rigid forks and a skinny steel frame - it just happens to have discs and was made in 2010. I love riding it, but I have more fun on my modern bike.

The best bike is the one you'll ride - doesn't matter what it is or when it was made.

Re:

This is an easy question to answer.....sell what you don't ride and doesn't look good on the wall as art.

I've got 3 bikes 2 I ride almost every week the 3rd I'm at a crossroads with and really it needs some TLC but I love it so I'll keep it.

Stuff should never get to the point that it owns you. If you are no longer getting joy and pleasure out of something - move it on.

In your situation, I'd keep one retro and buy a new bike. I broke my favourite titanium retroish bike at Christmas. I got a Charge Cooker 3 with plus sized tyres. Rides fantastic and I can now keep up with those on £3K+ full suspension monsters on most stuff. It is a lot of fun, feels really capable and I don't feel like I've been beaten with a stick the next day like I did on my previous rigid bike.

My old Marin gets used for commuting, shopping and occasionally noodling around on my own. I have a couple of other retros for swapping out with the Marin if it is ever out of action.

Re:

Thanks for all the replies gang. :cool:

Won't be wall hanging the RTS as the Mrs wouldn't let me put it anywhere good. :facepalm:
It deserves to be built by me or some one else and given that the Clockwork will be staying for undersized retro fun it will probably move on.

Tried a cross bike. Bought it, set it up how I wanted it, put it in the garage, sold it a few months later unused. :facepalm:

Re:

I've gone the opposite, I had a ragley blue pig then a production Privee Shan both great bikes, I then bought a 1998 clockwork orange fully rigid, took it out for a ride and enjoyed it that much that I sold the production! The slack front end on a modern bike kills me on up hills whereas the orange climbs with ease, lack of any suspension definitely makes for a more interesting ride even if it beats me up a bit. An expensive modern bike is capable of more than what my skill level is at so is not what I personally require. As long as you get out and ride and enjoy it it doesn't matter what you ride :)

Back