What would you do? Retro Vs modern.....

Re: Re:

marc two tone":1m6lls34 said:
I feel your pain, ed.

Deciding what bike gets culled is harder than deciding which toe to cut off first.

You will find a reason to keep them all. :)

End of the day though, ride whatever gets you out and be honest with yourself. Retro bikes can be punishment to ride and, take a month to recover from the episode. I know that.
Keep your clockwork and have a comfy modern bike so you have the best of both worlds for whatever terrain you are tackling. Most guys in our region ride modern now.
My solution is to ride less, running and swimming has taken over and requires less kit and planning. Shorts, towel, trolley coin for the locker and i'm sorted.
As I don't generally do suspension and effective brakes, I choose routes to suit my bike rather than the other way round. Which, can be a roother
cause of having 10 bikes. 'Bike for each purpose' phenomenon (don't get me started about single speed). Marc says "buy a bmx, then"

Good luck in your course of action,

Remember.

Keep off eBay.
Hide old retro bike related pics.
Avoid readers bikes >1997.

:cool:

Wise words

Difficult decision but if you aren't riding them and have no space to admire them then just sell them. It's only stuff right? Bikes are for riding, end of. The only thing you should be buying is any additional stuff that helps you ride more. Whatever it is that you need :)

Just to put more doubt in your mind though..... Whilst changing another puncture today a guy pulled to chat on a brand new P7. Looked AMAZING!

I remember you saying before you were interested. Sell everything and get one of those. :cool:

Rodrigues":2k6euiry said:
Difficult decision but if you aren't riding them and have no space to admire them then just sell them. It's only stuff right? Bikes are for riding, end of. The only thing you should be buying is any additional stuff that helps you ride more. Whatever it is that you need :)

Just to put more doubt in your mind though..... Whilst changing another puncture today a guy pulled to chat on a brand new P7. Looked AMAZING!

I remember you saying before you were interested. Sell everything and get one of those. :cool:

I like the cut of your gib ;)

P7 is the way I am looking, neon green with yari's :xmas-cool:

Re:

Sell the ones you don't ride and go do a frame building course where you'll build your own to your taste.
A modern steel hardtail, that you've built yourself, will give you so much pleasure!!

makster":2hgyz7ui said:
Sell the ones you don't ride and go do a frame building course where you'll build your own to your taste.
A modern steel hardtail, that you've built yourself, will give you so much pleasure!!

If I had time I would mate. Maybe in the future.

makster":1z2noyna said:

So tempting!

So many bikes/tat to sell to fund it first. There is always the risk it rides like a sack of spuds though

Re:

I love retro as they were the bikes I rode and lusted over when I was younger. I loved the look and enjoyed riding them. My Univega Rover got heavily upgraded, then parts transferred to a second hand Marin, then a breezer storm that got the wheels nicked. I then got a custom built Kona Explosif and the list goes on to include a Pace rc200. They were all slightly different. The kona was lively and the Pace harsh as Hell. But I loved them all for their character.
I've not ever ridden a modern bike. The reasons being: 1, the cost. They seem a lot of money these days, for something that looks cheaper than the bikes back in the day. 2, will I be bored? My modern Renault Scenic bores me to tears like all other modern cars; they just aren't fun any more so have lost interest in cars. My old mk1 & 2 golf gti's and Renault 5 GT turbo's were bloody fun to drive. Are modern bikes not the same with suspension to iron out most of the fun? I don't know, I'm asking? 3, Nostalgia. Damn it's great to be able to afford the bikes you could'nt back in the day (didn't keep the explosif or pace for long as my poor understanding of the hand out of student loans did not compute with my lust or logic!)
I shan't bother with a modern bike. I will continue buying bikes I used to drool over, look fo parts and enjoy building them and then riding them. I only keep one bike at a time. Keeps it simple and when I am ready for a change I strip it an build up a new frame. Happy days! Oh and 4, modern bikes are ugly! :D

Re:

I don't think modern stuff is actually that badly priced when compared to the retro gear. Just like bitd you can spend a fortune or relatively little. It was always said in the early 90's that 300 quid was the start point for a decent bike. Probably more like 500 now which when inflation is taken into account is about the same.

Can't disagree with the look of most modern kit though, ugly hydroformed tubes with black or dark grey paint. There are some nice ones but they are few and far between. Check out the new Yo Eddy's for how it should be done :cool:

I would love to ride retro more but as stated, I need XL frames which make the bikes look like gates so then I don't like looking at them which in turn means I don't want to keep them. Vicious circle :facepalm:

Back