what was something you used to think was crap but now you quite like it?

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
for some reason i recently realised that i like the limited edition deore LX in black/gold

back in the day i always thought it was a bit show off-ey, which when you think about it, it isn't, it's LX, it's not like it's XTR. perfectly functional etc, i was thinking about a project and thought oh that'd be a cool groupset to hunt down . . . then i saw the prices it's going for!:oops:

so what's your i hated it then but love it now change of mind?

lxgold.jpg
lxgold2.png

lxgold3.png

lxgold5.png

Disc brakes. My first encounter was with a titanium frame - and while the front set on a pair of suspension forks worked well enough, the rear always squealed like anything (I now suspect the frame wasn't faced correctly). Now, I haven't ridden a bike in anger offroad without disc brakes for at least five years.

I used to dislike flat pedals. Now i cant go back to clipless. I used to dislike 2.3 tires and ride 2.1... now i love 2.3in. I used to dislike working on my bike... now i am all for it.

Carbon bars. When they first came out, there was a strong reaction along the lines of "they're just plastic and will fail catastrophically at the slightest bump." Now I've come to like the lightness and buzz-damping qualities. And I've never had one fail.

Carbon bars. When they first came out, there was a strong reaction along the lines of "they're just plastic and will fail catastrophically at the slightest bump."

to be fair, when they first came out they were plastic and they did fail badly. Seem to remember my first ones were Lendel or something like that, they were just repurposed canoe paddle shafts and they flexed and broke

+1 for 3DV

For me it would be some form of mudguards for winter riding, be it proper old school style, or ass savers, or whatever. I'm too old to be worried about what I look like, and would much rather keep my derriere dry and my face clear of muck. Plus you can pop them on and off in an instant.

Back