what to do with my Sunn Vertik?

Great thanks. It has an A-Head then and I would need a steerer of about 205mm (lower bearing cup to top of stem).

I did change the rear mech to a Deore a couple of years ago and also ditched the twist grips for a low end rapid fire, so I think I need to look at getting something like XT shifters for a super slick operation, will feel like a new bike then. Trouble is these all seem to be 9-spd so I guess I have to upgrade my wheels to 8 or 9 speed as well.

Took a couple of shots last night with my phone. I'm sure I bought it in '97

Attachments

• Sunn Vertik.jpg
    Sunn Vertik.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,064
  • Vertik Front.jpg
    Vertik Front.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,064
Look's nice, would be a shame to dump that.

A bit unusual for a 97 bike to be 7 speed though, i'm sure 8 speed was pretty common by then, fitting an 8 speed cassette on the rear should be straightforward though, if it's a Shimano hub should just be a case of changing the hub body (the ratchet bit the cassette fits on to)

8 speed shifters are for sale fairly regularly on here, i'm using XTM739 (1995 i think) sti units (combined levers and shifters) and those work well, bought on here a while ago for £20 or so, these come with gear indicators but they can be easily removed.

Forks should be easy too, decide what type you are after and look for a set around 60mm travel, as long as the steerer is at least 205mm it can be easily cut down to fit ;)

I have the 98 catalogue here and the Vertik was 8-speed then, but the Tonic and Notion were still 7-speed, so it seems credible that the 97 Vertik came with 7-speed.

I hate to disagree, but fitting an 8-speed cassette to a 7-speed wheel is rather dicey even for an expert. The 8-speed cassette is a seventh wider than a 7-speed (as the spacing is the same), so the freehub is a seventh wider and the 8-speed hub itself is commensurately narrower. The only way to fit an 8-speed freehub to a 7-speed hub is to fiddle the axle across to the right leaving very little protruding each side, and you should really re-dish the spokes as well to compensate. This doesn't seem to be worth the bother when you can get a decent 8-speed rear wheel on eBay for £20-30 (and that's not much more than the cost of the 8-speed freehub that you'd have had to buy).

NigeP":1up73g3l said:
Great thanks. It has an A-Head then and I would need a steerer of about 205mm (lower bearing cup to top of stem).
I did change the rear mech to a Deore a couple of years ago and also ditched the twist grips for a low end rapid fire, so I think I need to look at getting something like XT shifters for a super slick operation, will feel like a new bike then. Trouble is these all seem to be 9-spd so I guess I have to upgrade my wheels to 8 or 9 speed as well.
Took a couple of shots last night with my phone. I'm sure I bought it in '97
That's way too nice a frame to let go of! I'd say get yourself some light suspension forks plus upgrade the wheels and pedals.

Personally I've never found upgrading the gears made much difference to performance. XT is slicker as you say, but I find it over-sensitive and under-sprung. I have 8-speed Alivio on one of my bikes, which the bling fanciers on here would laugh at, but it's so much more accurate and reliable than any XT I've used. And my pal who commutes on the Orange I've lent him raves about the 7-speed STX on that, best gears he's ever used he says.

But the wheels on the Vertik weren't that good, and I feel sure you'd find a much greater benefit from some Mavic 517/XT 8-speed wheels from eBay plus kevlar tyres. You could always fit a 9-speed system later if you wanted, as the 8-speed and 9-speed cassettes are the same width (the spacing is less with 9-speed)

This is exactly the sort of information & help I need. Thank you!

Been reading up on Sheldon Browns website and it does seem the moving up from 7 gears is a bit more involved. Not really that fussed about getting the extra cog its more to do with the availability of the upgraded components ie wheels & shifetrs.

OK, so wheels & shifters are my priority as I have just bagged some pedals on ebay, and wait for a nice pair of RC-35's, which I think would compliment the look rather than a RockShox of some sort.

Will keep you informed.

Back