What split-seat tube bike is this?

Got it! Guy says it is a Chazal, but I can't find ant mention of this company in the 80s. There was a 90s team of this name, but they rode MBKs.

It's nicely made, fillet-brazed and apparently the massive stickers on the top tube are correct about it being made with Vitus tubing, but which kind is anyone's guess.

Nearly complete Mavic groupset and Module E2 rims with ancient 19c tubs - it needs stripping and cleaning, then assessing for what next (respray, split and sell, or clean and keep).

He was a constructeur says so on the head badge I posted a pic of.
Yes, thanks for posting that - it helped my search. What I can find, is that constructeur was working post-war and, whilst there is still a shop in St Etienne, there is nothing to say they were building bikes in the 80s (it would be the man's son, or some other younger person).

But in the absence of anything else (including a head tube badge!), I will keep digging around on Chazal!

Yes, thanks for posting that - it helped my search. What I can find, is that constructeur was working post-war and, whilst there is still a shop in St Etienne, there is nothing to say they were building bikes in the 80s (it would be the man's son, or some other younger person).

But in the absence of anything else (including a head tube badge!), I will keep digging around on Chazal!
I bet he built some lovely bikes, let us know how you get on.

If it helps - looks 80s / 90s - for sale in St Etienne and clearly states handcrafted :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1910033245.htm

It's really hard picking up pieces and understanding the exact inner works and volumes of some of these type of "constructeurs". You can be reasonably sure it will be well made and difficult to find another the same.

Would be great if you could at least ride it as is, and let us know your first impressions. 👍

If it helps - looks 80s / 90s - for sale in St Etienne and clearly states handcrafted :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/velos/1910033245.htm

It's really hard picking up pieces and understanding the exact inner works and volumes of some of these type of "constructeurs". You can be reasonably sure it will be well made and difficult to find another the same.

Would be great if you could at least ride it as is, and let us know your first impressions. 👍
Well found - all I could find were pictures of MBKs ridden by the team.

I have also found an email address for a Philippe Chazal, who I assume is the son/grandson/nephew of Antoine. I have mailed him, but have no idea if he checks that address (or if he has decals, which I would really like).

Took it for a spin and it is very lively! Not sure if it's the short wheelbase, the 19mm tubulars or something else, but it's a very 'fun' bike!

I had to tighten the bars in the stem first, which required a 7(?)mm hex key? I used a 45 Torx, but is this normal for French stems (it's a Pivo)?

Anyway, I think I will keep it for a while, get it cleaned and, if I can get some new decals, might consider a respray.

Back