What size frame should you ride but what do you really ride?

Muddy paw":2h3ujzxf said:
singletrackmac":2h3ujzxf said:
mkone":2h3ujzxf said:
:) im the same, and find myself using shorter stems nowadays. Some i still set up long but i cant ride them for long, oh the joy of oldness :LOL: :roll: my marin has a 22" tt which is too long even for short rides, no matter how much i like the bike its just not as much fun anymore.

Same for me. My XXL Bonty, which used to be great for my 6'4" (1.93m) frame with it's 24" TT and 150mm stem now feels way too stretched. It is really fast set up this way, but I will be switching to a shorter stem as even short <5mile rides now hurt my back afterwords. :facepalm: After many years of rugby and now a 2 and 3 year old I got to take car of my back so I can hopefully keep riding these great old bikes for many, many more years :D

Glad to see your seeing sense as you don't want to end up feeling crippled or being crippled for that matter so maybe a 110mm stem would be better as you don't want to be to cramped up either with being so tall and at least your lovely Bonty won't end up being left gathering dust ..

And having children that are 2 and 3 years of age can be quite demanding as it is and you want to be fit enough to enjoy playing games with their children when they grow up as i found out it's quite demanding but damn good fun plus they'll really love you for it ..

What's funny is Bontrager made a frame one size larger which was the XXLS, with the "S" standing for stretch. It had a 25" TT with a 150mm stem :shock: That is some reach.

singletrackmac":2zeuwhog said:
Muddy paw":2zeuwhog said:
Glad to see your seeing sense as you don't want to end up feeling crippled or being crippled for that matter so maybe a 110mm stem would be better as you don't want to be to cramped up either with being so tall and at least your lovely Bonty won't end up being left gathering dust ..

And having children that are 2 and 3 years of age can be quite demanding as it is and you want to be fit enough to enjoy playing games with their children when they grow up as i found out it's quite demanding but damn good fun plus they'll really love you for it ..

What's funny is Bontrager made a frame one size larger which was the XXLS, with the "S" standing for stretch. It had a 25" TT with a 150mm stem :shock: That is some reach.

XXLS Bontrager with 25" TT and a 150mm stem well yes that does seem " Bonkers " but i use to know a lad at school when i was 13 and he was a little taller than you at 7ft tall so the XXLS i should imagine would have been a comfy fit so it doesn't seem such a crazy size when you consider their are people as tall him out there ..

5 11. I've comfortably ridden anything from a 17inch to 21 inch off road. All depends on the set up and the frame. Despite always riding 18 inch bitd, I now find I prefer a 20 inch with older frames. But 20 inch in newer frames is too large.

Regardless of the frame size I always have problems getting the seat back far enough- and I've belatedly realised I like a short stem and wide riser bars (especially on smaller frames).

Long legs short torso at 175cm,
I ride a 15" at the moment (my third build so far) and fits better than the 17/20 ".
Definately felt a bit unable at first but now its just nippy. I am also way faster on it. Reach feels good. Plus I look much cooler for bringing the leg over in front of me rather than over the saddle. :cool:

Also I use 48cm flat bars, which is spot on.

Back