What Retrobike "feature" do you avoid when looking for bikes?

Giant bicycles, cantis, threaded headsets. All shoit
Heathen! :D

@bikeworkshop the originals are still going strong 35+ years later on my Escaper, and that's with me faffing about dropping the straddle hangers down too so at least 2 different "squish" points ;) If I ever retire them for new, I may give them a new lease of life as winch cable for the car trailer lol

I really really don't understand why people struggle with threaded headsets. If you don't do them too tight or too loose on the bearings and you do the lock nut up.....they work fine.
I think it's a bit luck of the draw, I'd agree on the most part, the proper tabbed lock washer helps in most cases as well. I have had a couple though that just refuse to stay tight. No matter how hard you lock the nuts together, even with added blue Locktite left to cure properly for a few days. 5 miles into the next ride, loose headset. I wonder if it's ridden while loose the rocking causes the threads to deform slightly then you're fighting a losing battle whatever you try?
On that particular bike I ended up throwing my toys out the pram and switched it out to Ahead, problem solved.

I think it's a bit luck of the draw, I'd agree on the most part, the proper tabbed lock washer helps in most cases as well. I have had a couple though that just refuse to stay tight. No matter how hard you lock the nuts together, even with added blue Locktite left to cure properly for a few days. 5 miles into the next ride, loose headset. I wonder if it's ridden while loose the rocking causes the threads to deform slightly then you're fighting a losing battle whatever you try?
On that particular bike I ended up throwing my toys out the pram and switched it out to Ahead, problem solved.
Laughing at the last sentence :p

but......threaded is shiny in lots of cases and I like shiny stuff 🙂....ahead, bland and grey.....😥.

Although i should be careful or i will end up with a artisan crank by that logic..😕
You don't need artisan, I've seen your efforts, cranks so shiny even a Vampire could see a reflection! :)

Just to add in the above case it must have been a steerer issue, I begrudgingly reused the headset on another bike, expecting to have to swap it sooner rather than later and it's been absolutely fine.

Back