What puncture prevention do you use

The only bike I have any puncture protection is my Brompton because it is an utter ass ache to change them. Particularly the rear.

Schwabe Marathons on, plus a liberal squirt of some green anti-puncture gunk I got from Wilkos.

My mountain bike doesn't generally get many punctures - but I got four (plus my lights nicked) in the space of a couple of hours last Sat. Making me wonder about going tubeless.

Re: Re:

mattr":o2cozhlq said:
kalex":o2cozhlq said:
I wouldn't swap from my marathon plus purely because of the amount of thistles, thorns etc that are covered on my trails.
Really? Marathon plus are horrific tyres. The only two things they do well is last (and last, and last) and puncture protection.

By every other measure they are horrible!

You said it "PUNCTURE PROTECTION" this us my main priority for this mtb.

95% of the time this mtb is used on canal paths which aren't man made. Along all of these paths are thorny hedges. I do every so often take these tyres off to dethorn them and i'll easily get into double figures. I'm talking about small thorns up to 3/4" long.

I did run normal tyres and I made it to the second mile then the dreaded flat tyre hit me.

So yes on this function out ways anything else.

Re:

Marathons look awful so I switched to Continental's with gator skin or whatever they call it and they've been superb. Better tread, great grip (especially in the wet) and next to no punctures. Worth the money in my opinion.

al-onestare":27zyg4fp said:
Marathons look awful so I switched to Continental's with gator skin or whatever they call it and they've been superb. Better tread, great grip (especially in the wet) and next to no punctures. Worth the money in my opinion.

I e got continental gatorskins on my road bike.

Yes the marathons aren't the best looking but they claim to have the highest puncture resistance with the inbuilt banding

Re:

If puncture protection on canal paths is your highest priority then a tubeless conversion with sealant using any tyre you like would be the way to go IMHO. The fit and forget answer.

Thinking back I had no punctures with Slime Tubes but found them too heavy for my XC race bike, [weenie here].

Now that sealant is more readily available I would think about making my own "Slime Tubes" by using tubes with removable valve cores. Low cost and job done.

Really? Marathon plus are horrific tyres. The only two things they do well is last (and last, and last) and puncture protection.

By every other measure they are horrible![/quote]

I'm guessing it's because they stop the thorns and thistles they encounter on there trails giving them punctures why they use them :roll:

Spanky22b":3teqd2sc said:

By every other measure they are horrible!

I'm guessing it's because they stop the thorns and thistles they encounter on there trails giving them punctures why they use them :roll:[/quote]

What else gives the same protection for the cost of a pair of tyres. Where this bike goes protection is king.

If you were going to ride a well used prostitute would you buy the johnnies that looked the best on the packet or the ones that gave the most protection.

Spanky22b":2s3silhe said:
I'm guessing it's because they stop the thorns and thistles they encounter on there trails giving them punctures why they use them :roll:
they are also almost totally devoid of grip and handle like shit, drag is horrendous too.

Tubeless does the same job, and you can do it with decent tyres as well.

kalex":3g3b2g3y said:
Where this bike goes protection is king.
i know, you've already explained that to me once.

Pretty sure properly installed sealant (either with or without a tubeless installation) and decent tyres will give you similar levels of protection, not to mention some actual grip and about 10% of the drag from using marathons.

Back