What is your average speed on a road bike?

I always think average speed is a bit of a misnomer tbh. If you are riding in traffic, and dealing with junctions, lights and other street furniture you're forever slowing, stopping and starting again. Where I live, South London, it's at least 10 miles before I hit roads that I can actually get going on. The first and last ten miles are like a warm-up/warm down! The thing is just to find a pace that your comfortable with, you'll soon be able to build up your stamina and pace with time, and as Ian says it's a lot quicker if you're riding with a mate/group, and softer on the legs too :D Today I did a 60 mile ride, alone, it was pretty hilly (up and down) and averaged 17/18 miles, which is normally what I seem to end up with, which seems OK.

The local speed read-out camera things tell me I'm usually doing between 20 and 24 mph on the flat on my normal 4-11 mile routes. Through town it's hard to do that as an average speed due to traffic lights, hills and other obstacles. I go slightly slower on longer rides.

Jonny69":1rap4kwd said:
The local speed read-out camera things tell me I'm usually doing between 20 and 24 mph on the flat on my normal 4-11 mile routes
I like the warning advisory speed camera's too! Always try to see 'what i can do' as you blast
through a 30 and it lights up *29* then flashes **48** as numerous cars pass by me!!! :roll: :facepalm:

God I wish I could even think about doing 10 miles an hour at the moment. Started up again after 12 months off so hard going at the moment - but getting there.

Ah, the tyranny of the pace arrow...

I used to worry about average speed etc. when I rode more, but I now ride with my bike computer set under the handlebar so I can't see the display.
Result? I don't hate the hills so much, appreciate the countryside more, my average speed hasn't gone down, and I don't feel nagged at, just pleased to be out.

I do look to see how far I've been when I've finished, and I'm often pleasantly surprised by my average speed.

BITD my belt drive mileometer just gave me the satisfaction of ticking off the miles, now there's the likelihood of information overload: location, heartrate, power output, altitude, average speed, cadence, max speed, training zone...none of it really matters.

Enjoy the ride and ignore the pace arrow.

i sit around the 18-20mph mark on my commute home (depending on wind direction and speed), i use my speedo to keep myself from slacking - it makes sure i get home in time to bath my son! :)

A lot will depend on what state i wish to arrive at my destination! If we're talking commuting then i rarely exceed an average of 14-15.

snail1.JPG

Re: ride speeds

concordino":3fou7qef said:
half cog":3fou7qef said:
Everyone is different. Stop worrying and ride the thing.You will pass some and some will pass you. Tis the way it is.
peter

The wise words of the day I say :)
Wise words indeed. But why is it the only people I pass are Granny on the way to the shops and the occasional mountain biker? :(

Average speed about 13 to 14 mph. All my training routes are quite hilly. However, I calculated that on one particular circular route where the second half is a lot flatter than the first I did the second half at about 15.5 mph.

Back