What is the best cantilever cable hanger?

With the desire for retro builds becoming more popular by the week, dare I say...day, maybe you need to produce these small kind? Or at the very least...do you have a set kicking around somewhere? I would be interested in snagging a set
Not much use to you but I've a set and they're great, no idea what they weigh though. Essential to have an open cable hanger on some brake types and these are perfect.
Interesting to know. I assume you have had your set for quite a while? How did the anodization hold up after all these years? Hopefully @B3 jumps back into this thread. I would like to hear from him too.

Sadly in today's world you would need to produce 1000's to make it worth while. I don't have the fixtures anymore, so there's one cost before anything else.

I sold all I had left to a guy in Germany, probably 2-3 years ago.

I do have a set left (for emotional reasons) I'll dig them out and weigh them.

Wide on the rear? You mean wide on the front and narrow on the rear? For example, Critical Racing made two cantilever types: short/wide & tall/narrow. The premise was simply having two variations to appeal to buyers that had the similar braking force, but inadvertently riders found you got basically the same (or slightly better short/wide) mechanical advantage between the two types and a short/wide front & tall/narrow rear combination was desired. The rider could buy the brand they liked, had good braking force up front and good, maybe decent in the rear BUT the tall/narrow also allowed the heal of the foot to clear the brake arm during upstroke of the crank arms.
Wide hanger not wide brake arm. Critical Racing intentionally designed for front (short/wide) and rear (tall/narrow) applications. There was inadvertant "discovery" by buyers. Geebus, this thread has turned into a trainwreck, I guess when You word a question as to what is the best this or that, it gets pretty subjective quick.

Lots of potential arguments pending but the Shimano wide canti of old doesnt care what hanger you use, it just stops you safely and quickly with all the modulation you could possible want.

Until it gets wet...

The other problem is that they stick out a bit and can catch your heels on the rear.

br-m62, 732, mt60 etc

The next argument is that 'v-brakes' didnt appear until around 1995 for the '96 season so you appear to have a time machine - we want it!

I just use the standard Shimano/ Dia-comp 'hook' style as they haven't really failed me yet.

m4nAM7j_kpGvhryL6aR5Hzg.jpg

There are these which are for low pro cantis

$T2eC16ZHJHgE9n0yG+FPBRLto,KJQg~~60_35.JPG

These lock the cable down but can make removing the wheel more difficult

$(KGrHqYOKiIE31QRwu4mBOH0cpHdoQ~~_35.JPG
Apparently my memory is going - I'm sure I upgraded to XT vbrakes on my 91 stumpjumper and i bought my Norco Sasquatch post grad school so 98/99 and it came with vbrakes....

Back