What is 'retro'

Yeah look at the Charge Duster, new bike, new jazzystickers but retro style and simplicity, I bet they appeal to most of us. and that members Bike, 'Groovy'? from 2007?, appeals to me as retro. even seeing Jo Burt rocking some epic XC on his HT and Rockshox, retro. I'm not into this state of mind thing but everyone should be welcome if they are interested. But we dont want it blurred into being for moderns too I understand, big burly jump bikes and extreme DHers cant be retro yet at all can they? hmm maybe the very ealiest... :p

I made a new site and forum for old cars that got snubbed and hot flaming topiced cars, kinda finding its ground but thee attitude works nice.

Anyway keep up the good work RBers, i wouldn't have got my two if it wasn't for the inspiration here even if they are not everyones cuppa cha.

nice one. ;)

reanimation":1hbewzwg said:
Yeah look at the Charge Duster, new bike, new jazzystickers but retro style and simplicity, I bet they appeal to most of us.

I know at leat two of us that have them, but I certainly wouldn't class mine as retro by any means.

This is a 2007 Kona Unit 2-9 resprayed and with 1994 Kona decals. The owner calls it 'retro' (and I guess the inverted commas have an impact on what he means by that).

My feeling is that as it's a 2-9, it must be modern and therefore not retro, despite the decals. But if it were an 07 Explosif with 26 inch wheels and he built it up with Vs not discs, a non-modern fork, etc, so that it was a modern frame in a non-modern style, then that would satisfy the dictionary definition of the word retro.

Although whether it satisfied the Retrobike community's definition is another issue I suppose.

Attachments

• 2007 Unit 2-9 with 1994 decals.jpg
    2007 Unit 2-9 with 1994 decals.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 883
Anthony":megu8z8f said:
This is a 2007 Kona Unit 2-9 resprayed and with 1994 Kona decals. The owner calls it 'retro' (and I guess the inverted commas have an impact on what he means by that).

My feeling is that as it's a 2-9, it must be modern and therefore not retro, despite the decals. But if it were an 07 Explosif with 26 inch wheels and he built it up with Vs not discs, a non-modern fork, etc, so that it was a modern frame in a non-modern style, then that would satisfy the dictionary definition of the word retro.

Although whether it satisfied the Retrobike community's definition is another issue I suppose.

I think it's retro because he cares enough for it to risk the wrath of the missus to photo it on the kitchen counter! You know he sleeps with it...so, done! Retro! :D

Interesting one this: utterly not to say overly retro.

With its fancy lugwork its harking back to a time and a style that was never part of how MTBs were built: 1950s road bikes.

So to me this is super retro - strong stuff in deed - but utterly wrong.

Like pineapple flavoured bourbon, or a mock tudor bauhaus building.

:)

Proper retro bikes IMO are probably around 10 years old plus, for me favourites are from the early 90s

Definately not retro is the bulls**t that seems to be ever popular popping up all over the place these days, I'm talking pseudo-retro bikes which are spanking new but made to look old.

It is all relative isn't it? I mean I remember cogs not gears.
Terms like "Is that a 5 cogged bicycle!" are now vintage.

Plus I'm a maniac and like to buy the bikes I couldn't afford as a youngster like everyone else. Mountain bikes without thumbies....forget it.
Saying that a thing that is greatly overlooked , I feel , in here are mangy bikes. The best fun I ever had was on a bike that veered to the left,had a slow puncture and had only one gear (COG!) working.

........ah........cogs *dreamy state*
:D

Definately not retro is the bulls**t that seems to be ever popular popping up all over the place these days, I'm talking pseudo-retro bikes which are spanking new but made to look old.

In most spheres that would be considered retro, as opposed to simply old. But bicycles clearly work to different rules :)

Back