What have i bought? Reynolds 653 Raleigh with XC-Pro - is it a White Lightning?-now with added muddy fox content

😂 It's not so much beginning as starting again... I spent about 15 years working in bike shops before escaping and getting a (slightly more) proper job, not the best paid industry for buying lots of bikes though even with good staff discounts, since leaving I've fully scratched that itch 😂. Had a phase of buying retro in the early 2000's, mostly konas and marins, these got sold when the kids were born, then I had a brief relapse about 10 years ago and started collecting again, a few more Konas, a couple of early couriers and the Cinelli which I've kept, the rest again were sold.

In NW Leicestershire now but grew up in Sussex right at the bottom of the downs, really do miss the sdw for riding.

😂 It's not so much beginning as starting again... I spent about 15 years working in bike shops before escaping and getting a (slightly more) proper job, not the best paid industry for buying lots of bikes though even with good staff discounts, since leaving I've fully scratched that itch 😂. Had a phase of buying retro in the early 2000's, mostly konas and marins, these got sold when the kids were born, then I had a brief relapse about 10 years ago and started collecting again, a few more Konas, a couple of early couriers and the Cinelli which I've kept, the rest again were sold.

In NW Leicestershire now but grew up in Sussex right at the bottom of the downs, really do miss the sdw for riding.
Where? Melton?

So.... I've had a chance to tinker some more... New pins for my pin spanner arrived in the week, as did some 90's style neon bits.
Family duties dealt with and I've had a few hours today to play with the bike some more.
Bottom bracket was very stiff to remove so I've chased and faced the shell, bb fitted is a Xc pro grease guard one but without the proper bolts, unfortunately the non drive side cup is very worn and I can't adjust it to be smooth and with no play, I'll have to fit a sealed unit if I'm going to ride it more.
Cables are replaced, the xpress pods take a wierd cable with a small brake lever style nipple, luckily the old outers were miles too long so I've been able to trim off the damaged frayed ends and re use them.
Clips and straps fitted for full retro goodness and I found some grips in the spares box that match the colour scheme.
I think if I can fit a slightly shorter stem than the 140mm that's on it, and maybe some 600mm ish bars instead of the 560mm then the riding position will be better for my aching back and I'll end up keeping it and maybe have it resprayed next year.
View attachment 656016
View attachment 656021

Oh, and keep looking on marketplace for 'bikes', this was on yesterday so a short drive and £30 later I've picked up the same bike I got for my 15th birthday, still catalogue spec, even on its original tyres....
View attachment 656022
View attachment 656023
View attachment 656024
Hmmm... i could make a good use of those brakes: front racks go better w/ that geometry.

Back