What have i bought? Reynolds 653 Raleigh with XC-Pro - is it a White Lightning?-now with added muddy fox content

Mike_

Retro Newbie
Long time lurker but first post, I've been into mountain bikes since the mid 80's and have a soft spot for pre 90 bikes, my current retro rig is a 88 Cinelli ottomillauno with full m730 xt.

I wasn't really after another bike but while idly scrolling through Facebook marketplace yesterday I came across an advert for a 'bike' with one grainy picture showing a very faded orange/white bike with distinctive tapered straight blade forks and what looked like they could have been XC-Pro brake levers, as the seller was only a couple of miles away and back in the day I always preferred the suntour brake levers to shimano I thought it worth a look.
The bike has no model name left visible but was clearly top end, lugged Reynolds 653 frame and forks, full Suntour Xc-Pro groupset including pedals and seatpost, zoom stem and bars.
Needless to say I paid the, very reasonable, asking price and brought it home.
Googling makes me think it might be a White Lightning but there's very little info I can find on them.
Unfortunately it's a bit too big for me otherwise I think I'd be keeping it, part of me wants to strip the bike and keep the groupset but I cant help think that things are only original once.
So good people of retrobike, can you help me definitively identify it and do you think it has any value.

I'll get some better pics when the rain stops!

DSC_1790.JPG
IMG-20220816-WA0006.jpeg

Sure is.....

Rare thing, Top end steel Raleigh lightweight.

Even as a lurker/newbie, you are obliged to restore it irrelevant of cost and time doing so...

On the other hand, great pickup for a donor groupset so do what you want, No Pressure 🤨

Sure is.....

Rare thing, Top end steel Raleigh lightweight.

Even as a lurker/newbie, you are obliged to restore it irrelevant of cost and time doing so...

On the other hand, great pickup for a donor groupset so do what you want, No Pressure 🤨
At least clear the bike, lower the stem and take gorgeous pictures in good lighting. Hurry up.

Thanks for the replies, I've annoyed the mrs by spending the last 3 hours in the garage cleaning and adjusting everything 😁

The good news is that everything seems to be in really good condition and an hour with a bottle of t-cut has brought some shine back to the paint, looking at the bits that haven't faded it must have been a stunner when new.

It needs tyres, some new cables and the bottom bracket is a bit loose, unfortunately when I found my pin spanner one of the pins had sheared so that will have to wait, hopefully it won't be seized.

Shifters are x-press accushift plus things, left hand is friction and right is indexed, seem to work well but I do wish they were thumbies.

I'll take it for a quick ride tomorrow to try and convince myself that is isn't too big and I can justify keeping it and take some better pics.

@Joe_Rides I'm in Leicestershire

DSLR batteries are flat so apologies for phone pics!

I wasn't ready to fit my last new pair of retro tyres but I had some crossmarks kicking about so fitted them and went for a blast up the road, it really is a race bike that wants to be thrashed!

Think I might have to strip it down and clean/service it properly before I decide what to do with it. I think it's a 53 and I'd prefer a 49 but it would be better for my back with a slightly shorter stem or a bit more rise.

Anyway, here are some pics....

DSC_1795.JPG
DSC_1796.JPG
DSC_1797.JPG
DSC_1798.JPG
DSC_1799.JPG
DSC_1800.JPG
DSC_1801.JPG
DSC_1802.JPG
DSC_1803.JPG
DSC_1805.JPG

Back