Maillard 6 dog freewheel tool

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, I've got a lovely old Maillard 6 speed on a pretty run of the mill chrome steel wheel that really isn't any use to me, it's been in the garage a few years and I went back in there again (mostly to try start the car that's been in there 4.5 years so I can sell it). Anyways, I'd forgotten it has a 6 notch/slot on the inside, which I'd never seen before and I'd really like to use it or sell it. It's quite unusual in so far as having a steel guard around the back of the 28T sprocket, spins up really nice too. Would go alright on my newly accquired retro bike I reckon:)

Anyone have any ideas as to where I can maybe borrow a tool because it's a one off for me I'm sure. Or even a method to get it off without a tool, the wheel hub are disposible items as far as I'm concerned

Hi Tony,
Can't help you with the freewheel problem! - but on a different point I noticed that you have or have had a Vitus Gti framed Gitane - how did you find it ride wise (I've got a chance to buy a Bertin with the same tubes.). Cheers Dave

I'd guess at that being a Maillard/Aris freewheel. I think VAR made a tool. Other than that, ACS do a 6 dog remover but I've no idea if it'll fit and it's pricey.
Yeah, I saw the ACS tool, I thought ELDI might make one, I actually gave away a load of ELDI tools some years back for a few quid, some I had no idea what they were for, but thinking back wonder if there was a 6 prong amongst it all.doh
I'll put a shout out on LFGSS to see if anyone has one I can borrow.
cheers

Way back, Suntour made an alloy body freewheel with a 6 prong remover, don't remember a mallard one though. Mind you it's 40 years ago lol

Hi Tony,
Can't help you with the freewheel problem! - but on a different point I noticed that you have or have had a Vitus Gti framed Gitane - how did you find it ride wise (I've got a chance to buy a Bertin with the same tubes.). Cheers Dave
Hi Dave, I haven't ridden it in quite a while and I only pottered on it, I think the closest it felt like was to my Hirame with Ishiwata tubing, I suppose it's akin to 531 Professional, it's reasonably stiff and I never really thought it was uncomfortable but then tyres/tyre pressures, saddle, bars set up have more of an overall influence IMHO.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Bertin for a casual ride that won't feel too sloppy when you put a bit of oomph into it,

Back