What do I have here? (Old Holdsworth)

Thanks guys.

So I've measured the frame as per attachment, distances are centre to centre. Are my measurements a bit sloppy and this just equates to a 22inch frame or would they have gone in such fractional increments?

Further to some other queries, it appears neither the front nor rear are drilled for brakes. Obviously uncertain if that is a good or bad thing!

I also got the fully assembled bike down to get some more info. Unfortunately the frame number is not very legible as per photo, neither is the model. The frame size is the same as the bare frame.

And I'll leave the chain on, thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• Measurements.jpg
    Measurements.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220731_121510.jpg
    20220731_121510.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220731_092730.jpg
    20220731_092730.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 26
Fully assembled bike.

Edit - Appears to be a 'Mistral' model.

Attachments

• 20220731_120113.jpg
    20220731_120113.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220731_120205.jpg
    20220731_120205.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Yes 1/2" increments would've been standard back then. I can't shake the C-T habit, which is contemporaneous to your frames, and for me nearly as old as them, so I'd call them 23" (C-T)

Brake drillings on track frames:
Good- You can use the frame legally on the road.
Bad- No longer original. Someone has doctored it so they can use it on the road.

Last edited:
Thanks.

So do you think the following is a fair price to start?

> Professional sprint frame / forks / handle bars - £500
> Fully assembled Mistral - £200

Thanks

Well.. I'm by no means up to speed on the secondhand bike market... but I think your prices are optimistic.. but probably no harm in trying.

Bear in mind that although these were top-end frames from Holdsworth, afaik they are factory frames. For better or worse, one guy brazed the bb, another guy did the rear triangle, another guy did the forks..etc... and Holdsworth were probably the highest volume manufacturer in the UK outside of the likes of Raleigh, Falcon, Dawes, etc., so they are not particularly rare, although admittedly a track frame in that apparent fine fettle probably is somewhat rare.

But.. for those sort of asking prices, imo it behoves you to be able to vouch for these frames being corrosion free, in good alignment, with functional threads throughout, that the serial number on the fork matches that on the frame, and that the componentry- consumables (tyres, chain, bar-tape etc.) aside- even if not at its best cosmetically, is at least serviceable back to useable condition.
Without that, the buyer is taking more of a risk, and sort of entitled not to pay top dollar because of it.

Last edited:
Well.. I'm by no means up to speed on the secondhand bike market... but I think your prices are optimistic.. but probably no harm in trying.

Bear in mind that although these were top-end frames from Holdsworth, afaik they are factory frames. For better or worse, one guy brazed the bb, another guy did the rear triangle, another guy did the forks..etc... and Holdsworth were probably the highest volume manufacturer in the UK outside of the likes of Raleigh, Falcon, Dawes, etc., so they are not particularly rare, although admittedly a track frame in that apparent fine fettle probably is somewhat rare.

But.. for those sort of asking prices, imo it behoves you to be able to vouch for these frames being corrosion free, in good alignment, with functional threads throughout, that the serial number on the fork matches that on the frame, and that the componentry, even if not at its best cosmetically, is at least serviceable back to useable condition.
Without that, the buyer is taking more of a risk, and sort of entitled not to pay top dollar because of it.

Guess you've not been on eBay recently 😂

Seriously, though, I think as a starting point those are fair prices. The track bike is definitely rare in that condition (and people do love those team colours), and the other is a good restoration candidate. Maybe £200 is a little more than can be got for the road bike bearing in mind the work needed, but I'm not so sure given the current market. Even though they are factory frames, the Holdsworth-Campagnolo team connection makes them desirable above and beyond the actual bikes themselves, I'd say. But I guess we'll see!

Back