What Cleaning stuff/Lubes etc do you use?

Re:

i guess it depends on what condition your bike is in as to what cleaning products you use...

if its a newly painted or immaculate frame then i wouldn't recommend using washing up liquid, brushes or sponges... these introduce "swirls" to the paint. Swirls make paintwork look dull.

if its a pretty beat up, regularly used thrasher or commuting bike then its possible the damage is already done :p ...in that case go ahead, use the above :LOL:

Re:

Wash?

It's only going to get dirty on the next ride, rinse it down if you've jammed it with wattle and dorb so things turn, or there are stones stuck to it, otherwise just chuck in shed and ride it next time.
A bit of oil either whatever i have be it winter finish line, gt85 or my favourite a spray grease (it smells nice) made by carlube.

Re:

Whatever happened to The Finish Line degreaser in the black alloy bottle? It was a clear, thin liquid. Can't seem to find it nowadays in UK. Maybe it was an ecological disaster I don't know- it used to work though for shifting caked on muck

Re:

I only use a brush and cold water to clean my bicycles. My thinking is that it is less likely to get into bearings and mix with the grease and reduce its lubricating properties than a degreaser or detergent.

Like many, I wash our bikes with dishwashing liquid and water, after quickly spraying off the bulk dirt. I like to finish them up with a light waxing, either Pledge or Turtle Wax, depending on how much time I feel like spending. Muc-off dry lube is excellent on SPD's, however.

For chain lube, I long used White Lightening to good effect, but have recently been using Pedro's wet lube. Our mud tends towards very sharp, gritty sand mixed with silt and water... Very abrasive. I've yet to find a lube I really like that lasts. Muc-off dry lube I didn't like much. Offered no protection from rusting even on a well-lubed chain, after 1 wet ride, rusted stiff in many links. Muc-off wet was fine, but built gunk on cogs at a prodigious rate. Pedros is similar so far, but the gunk build-up seems less tacky.

For grease, I long loved Bullshot bearing grease. No longer produced. The White Lightening clear grease is near its equal, IMHO. The Parks grease (green) is pretty good so far. I try to avoid greases which separate into oil and solids, like Triflo and some others - They've always been prone to water wash-out in my experience, leading to rusting and pitting in balls and races. Waterproof trailer bearing grease is a good alternative to the bike specialty lubes, and it looks just like the Parks stuff.

For shifter and brake cables, I use ATF. It tends not to become sticky and thick like chain lubes.

My favourite degreaser is Coleman camp stove fuel, panel wipe in the UK. Not too enviro friendly, so I use my waste for bonfire starting.... With care.

J

Household Flash Liquid on chains, gears and other moving parts. I spray it on neat, scrub, then rinse off. Washing up liquid everywhere else. Steel wool scouring or green scouring pads bring up the rim walls nicely.

After years of trial and error my recommendation is a Park Tool chain cleaner and white spirit (will properly work dirt from under the chain rollers) for greasy bits and a good quality wash/wax for overall cleaning.
As noted by KDM never ever use washing up liquid as it has a very high concentration of salt which will do your bike no favours at all.
I de-grease a bike used everyday in summer once a month and in winter once every two weeks. My favourite wash/waxes are from Autoglym, Meguiars or Mothers. I particularly like Mothers carnauba wash/wax (a US made product) as it contains a genuine wax which will work its way into nooks and crannies providing that extra level of protection.
I've found wax chain lubes useless for arresting drive-train wear.
I almost forgot to mention that oiling can be carried out with pretty much anything other than spray can oils which are too thin. I'm always happy to use SAE-30 mono-grade which is what Sturmey-Archer specified once upon a time for oiling their hubs as it is cheap, effective and doesn't wash out. There again the modern ceramic lubes from Finish-Line and Muc-Off are very nice and a bottle, although expensive, will last years.

Dry GT85
Wet Muc Off Wet lube

Clean my bike with Muc Off. Search around for deals, as it can be very expensive

Back