What’s wrong with me? Stop buying!

brocklanders023":15nwelda said:
So I don’t ride my retro really these days but have a garage full. Been trying to get rid of a few of the bikes I never needed so all’s well. :D

A Orange Elite arrived today and literally minutes ago I won another Orange Clockwork, neither of which i will probably ever use, both of which I have had before and never used. I won a Prestige the other week and had to drive to Haydock to get it...... Damn you retrobike addiction. :facepalm:

I blame Love Island. :|

I like the numbered check-list approach. Here's mine :)

1. Will I ride this bike more than 6 times in 12 months?

If it's not going to be ridden (on average) at least one time every other month then there's no point owning it. If the answer is yes, then:

2. Which bike will this replace?

My bike rack totals 8. Anymore and I won't have enough room to use the garage for tinkering, storage, etc. So, it's 1 in 1 out.

This really focuses the heart and mind. For me, it also raises the quality of the build as it's something I'm really invested in.

al-onestare":3af08y1q said:
brocklanders023":3af08y1q said:
So I don’t ride my retro really these days but have a garage full. Been trying to get rid of a few of the bikes I never needed so all’s well. :D

A Orange Elite arrived today and literally minutes ago I won another Orange Clockwork, neither of which i will probably ever use, both of which I have had before and never used. I won a Prestige the other week and had to drive to Haydock to get it...... Damn you retrobike addiction. :facepalm:

I blame Love Island. :|

I like the numbered check-list approach. Here's mine :)

1. Will I ride this bike more than 6 times in 12 months?

If it's not going to be ridden (on average) at least one time every other month then there's no point owning it. If the answer is yes, then:

2. Which bike will this replace?

My bike rack totals 8. Anymore and I won't have enough room to use the garage for tinkering, storage, etc. So, it's 1 in 1 out.

This really focuses the heart and mind. For me, it also raises the quality of the build as it's something I'm really invested in.

Aside from the omni present conflict of space conundrum you mention don’t you ever find yourself trying to bend your own rules ....

I buy in frequently but equally never sell as each one represents something more than the sum of their parts.

Retro Spud":f66o5p39 said:
Aside from the omni present conflict of space conundrum you mention don’t you ever find yourself trying to bend your own rules ....

I buy in frequently but equally never sell as each one represents something more than the sum of their parts.

No, not now. I could add a sub-question to 1.

1a: Do I have a positive emotional connection to this bike?

In other words, do I love this bike? For me, it helps focus the quality and purpose of the fleet.

Re:

A current example of the conundrum I oft find myself in;

A few months ago I bought a nice Kona Lava Dome for not a lot of money. I didn't need it, but for the money it was a no-brainer + it "needed saving" :LOL: .

Now, I haven't even cleaned it up, and have only taken it on one ride since buying. It's a lovely thing, but I haven't "bonded" with it (yet). In theory I should sell it.

BUT, for the money I would get from it I couldn't even buy a set of spare low-end wheels, let alone in as good condition as the Mavic's on the Kona. Not to mention all the other parts I could yield for my "daily's" if required.

So I don't sell it and think of it as a 'back-up' bike or something I could "lend" parts off.

But then.......it's nice and original.... so I wouldn't be able to bring myself to split it up!

This is my tale of woe.

Re:

Yep, sounds about right.

Just picked up the Clockwork that started this thread and it’s in lovely condition. So good I want to put it in my garage to never use with the rest of em! :facepalm: :LOL:

Must be strong though and pinch the parts I want, handlebar and stem, then get rid of the rest before I become attached :roll:

Have succeeded in my ongoing mission. Sold three bikes. Purchased: zero. Was going to go to the bike jumble in Bristol weekend after next but now I'm not.

Good job really. I can't abide driving in Bristol. All temptation will be resisted! Will sell what bits I have left on here and any that don't, I'll give to a bike charity. :)

Back