Well, I *was* thinking of buying a DSLR...

That could certainly help. However, I know that the Canons and my Pentax autofocus in a different (and inferior) manner when you're using Live View (ie looking at the back screen to take pictures instead of the viewfinder). Check whether this is the case for an electronic viewfinder.

Good point. The EVFs tend not to work so well in low light and also suffer from picture lag when moving the camera about. I'll have to ask about that...

Some of the Sony cameras have EVFs and proper phase-detection autofocus, but I don't know of any others. The downside appears to be that they use a semi-translucent fixed mirror, so not all the light coming in actually hits the sensor.

Canon G viewfinders are pretty rubbish - tiny and parallax and stuff. I've got an old G which is great in many ways, but I never use the viewfinder - about a quarter of it is obscured by the lens :roll:

I think you'd quickly get used to a DSLR viewfinder, tbh.

MikeD":2l0jr25a said:
Canon G viewfinders are pretty rubbish - tiny and parallax and stuff. I've got an old G which is great in many ways, but I never use the viewfinder - about a quarter of it is obscured by the lens :roll:
Thanks for that info, Mike. It's little nuggets like that, which could save me time and money. Thanks again... :)

Well, I've stumbled upon another DSLR worth checking out and the Pentax fans will be pleased to hear that it's a Pentax *ist D or DS.

Apparently, it's slightly smaller than an Eos 300D, but has a larger viewfinder eyepiece through which you can see a larger focussing screen. So that's one that I definitely have to hunt down...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxistd/page3.asp

I found out that London Camera Exchange in Guildford have a used Pentax *ist DS body available for £150, so on Friday, I drove up to see if it was as compact as the photos make it seem...

sidebyside.jpg

The answer is 'yes', it really is that compact -- from side-to-side, it's actually a bit smaller than a Canon EOS 35mm body!

But best of all, the focusing screen thru the viewfinder was a much better size than I saw on the modern entry-level Canons and Nikons. So I was ready to buy.

When I first picked up the camera, the assistant attached a manual-focus prime lens (which reinforced the camera's compact feel).

But when I said that I was interested in buying, another guy tried to sell me the 18-55mm kit lens with it. When that was attached, the camera lost its 'compact feel' and I have to say the zooming ring felt plasticky and not very smooth.

In addition, the shop wouldn't give me anything in part-exchange discount for the EOS 500 35mm body or Olympus OM20 with 28mm lens that I took with me.

And finally, the Pentax body was just that: a body only. No battery packs or charger, no box, no instructions, no memory card, no shoulder strap.

So I thanked them very much and walked away.

I'm still looking out for an 'ist' because that will be the camera that I'll probably buy. But I'm holding out for a better deal.

And I'll have to bite the bullet and put the Olympus and Canon on eBay. :roll: :)

Well I am happy to hear you walked away.

Saying that you could have got the deal and sold your gear on eBay anyway.

The ist is a good cam, and the great thing about going compact is that you will shoot more.

Last time I was in Asia I had an F6 with excellent glass.

Most of my captures were thanks to an Oly 850 SW.

There is no substitute for the camera in your hand at the time, no matter how good the one in the hotel room, or car, is.

:)

Back