Welding experts …. Is this salvageable

Find a period correct sticker of the right size and just cover it up 🤣 🤦‍♂️

It would need a big sticker

To be honest unless it looks correct , I’d never stop trying to find another.

I’ve seen Dan chambers work magic on many Pace frame so unless he’s up for it the frame will likely not see the light if day again

Shot. Cracked once, it will crack again. I suspect it’s messed up from the TIG welding repair heat. I’ve cracked aluminum frames that weren’t properly heat treated.

As it's purely a wall hanger and only has to look right I can't see any issue at all. The only challenges will be maintaining the previous tube profiles when filing/grinding back the 'repair' and then producing a weld to match the factory ones.

Nothing to lose surely, get your files out and see what happens.

Presumably you're going to polish it if successful?

Surely whichever way you look at , thats a hardcore frame that you cannot trust? the rear triangle is so tight they are already a bit of a boneshaker, which is why I sold mine a long time ago and stick to steel..
If you got a bargain as a donor especially , no sentimental aspect then cut it up so no ones daft enough to retreive it from a skip and get hurt, as sure as the day is long however thats repaired it will crack again I think.
Even when gusseted etc, several friends had headtube cracks welded and gussetted, etc on downhill bikes, it transfers the stress elsewhere and the next bit cracks.. aluminum is pretty well known for this in all manufacturing.
Additionally theres cost of repair against buy a whole bike.. they are out there, as you have eluded too, patience will win the day.
Just my view obviously but ive worried about stuff like this then found a better one by the time its all done.. with multiple things in life, now I wait and let someone else have the hassle mostly.

As it's purely a wall hanger and only has to look right I can't see any issue at all. The only challenges will be maintaining the previous tube profiles when filing/grinding back the 'repair' and then producing a weld to match the factory ones.

Nothing to lose surely, get your files out and see what happens.

Presumably you're going to polish it if successful?
Yes would be made to look like a ball burnished finish again.

Surely whichever way you look at , thats a hardcore frame that you cannot trust? the rear triangle is so tight they are already a bit of a boneshaker, which is why I sold mine a long time ago and stick to steel..
If you got a bargain as a donor especially , no sentimental aspect then cut it up so no ones daft enough to retreive it from a skip and get hurt, as sure as the day is long however thats repaired it will crack again I think.
Even when gusseted etc, several friends had headtube cracks welded and gussetted, etc on downhill bikes, it transfers the stress elsewhere and the next bit cracks.. aluminum is pretty well known for this in all manufacturing.
Additionally theres cost of repair against buy a whole bike.. they are out there, as you have eluded too, patience will win the day.
Just my view obviously but ive worried about stuff like this then found a better one by the time its all done.. with multiple things in life, now I wait and let someone else have the hassle mostly.

The guy has been riding it like this for last 15 or so years so I think it’s structurally ok (as much as any 25 year old frame) but it’s just too ugly for me.

I’ve been looking for about 10+ years for the correct frame/year etc.

The guy has been riding it like this for last 15 or so years so I think it’s structurally ok (as much as any 25 year old frame) but it’s just too ugly for me.

I’ve been looking for about 10+ years for the correct frame/year etc.

Personally - if I was in the market for one - I would buy it, ride it (gently with plenty of seat post in the frame) and enjoy it.

You could try reframing it as battle scarred, extreme patina etc - and love it for what it is, a rare and unique survivor. But it sounds like this is the wrong frame for you. It's never going to look right.

Back