Watch Out For Nesting Birds!

Re:

Cheeky wee things! We managed to stabilise the pile of wood, etc. and there are five happy little chicks growing at an incredible rate since hatching over the weekend.
2jb8inq.jpg

Re:

brilliant work. well done.

I do all I can to accomodate our increasing bird population especially now they are cutting down natural habitat accross the road to build a new estate. lots of refugees.

ross, the Attenborough style of convservation doesnt cut it for me. If man were to dissapear off the earth id understand. But we have totally disrupted natural selection for wild birds and mammals in this country, simutaniously doing our best to make it as insignificant as possible to our own species.

Fair play to Ross though, he has spent a lot of time creating habitat.

I understand the issue around this. I spend a deal of time erecting bird boxes to enhance the chances for many species.

In forestry, for example, one has to acknowledge the damage commercial forestry can do and attempts to ameliorate that should be applauded.

I remember back in the 90s when a pair of raptors were nesting in our hospital. We were delighted, and it brought home to many city folk the reality of nature. So, if nothing else, lending a hand to nature now and then raises awareness.

Also, is it it nor equally valid for humans to develop symbiotic relationships with birds as natural pest control. Does that not fit in with evolution and natural selection?

Re:

Good work HF ;)

Mrs Muz saw first glimpse of blue tit chicks today , wish I'd been there .
A couple of years ago , saw a whole nest box of them fledge , maybe 8 or 9 I think . One didn't make it to the end of the day , :cry: despite doing what I could to try and protect it from the local cats . Was just too week to fly .
I don't think of the ones that did survive , just the one that didn't .

BTW , I think I may have to take you up on your kind offer when I'm next north of the Border HF . ;)

Mike

I hope, that she return to nest! Seen lot of them and not only birds as victims of traffic...Again! :(

She came back! I thought I had updated this. They have fledged now, so they are currently on the ground. Seen them popping about, but that whole area has deep vegetation so impossible to say how many are still with us, or whether indeed they are the ones that fledged from our 'project'! The mother is still coming for a feed by hand, lovely wee thing.

Springwatch had an illuminating study on blackbirds featured, and it turned out a garden was visited daily by over seventy pairs, where the person there thought they were the same pair!

Back