Watch Out For Nesting Birds!

highlandsflyer":2buinqun said:
Well a few days ago one of the troop entered the house with two eggs in hand! I was dismayed to note they were blackbird eggs.

"What on earth were you thinking moving them?"

"But they were cold! And they are on the waste wood pile!"

So 'crafty' blackbirds have made a nest on a pile of off cuts and such I had left for de-nailing for the fire.

I could leave the wood where it is until they fledge, but the nest is at the intersection point of a bunch of ends of wood and some conduit. Basically a jack straws pile.

First strong winds and this nest is toast!

However, after a lecture I donned clean gloves and returned the eggs.

Now the blackbird hen is in full occupation, probably added to the clutch.

So now we have a real headache, how to support the nest and then protect it from predators.

The hen doesn't mind me in close proximity, say three feet. So I can attempt some steadying the pile with mastic or something.

Then I can put mesh fence around, with a mesh cap that will prevent cats getting in, or even crows.

We shall see, and it is going to need a web cam to monitor the situation.

Just astonished she came back to incubate handled eggs. I was certain they would be abandoned.

Kudos Mrs. Blackbird!

Never handle birds nests unless it is unavoidable, for anyone in doubt.

Anyway; shove your hand in a blackbird's nest and next thing you know you might be up in front of the judge.

Why are you protecting them form predators? Leave nature to it, the mother is probably tolerating you, but you will be stressing it out by getting so close, she is doing her best to look after her brood, leave her to it. Blackbirds are feisty feckers when they are threatened, I've seen my cat been bossed by a mother blackbird, it was actually quite funny!

Nature should be encouraged, not necessarily helped.

Domestic cats are an introduced predator, that upset the balance of nature.

Like I said it is an unstable pile, and the wind will upturn the nest if we don't firm things up.

Sure, they may well lay again and all that but we are in a position to help redress the balance a little.

Something I have been doing for 40 years and more, and I can't see the downside to be honest.

highlandsflyer":jbev612g said:
Domestic cats are an introduced predator, that upset the balance of nature.

Much like humans, the built environment and anything else you care to mention. Nature should be left to adapt of it's own accord, maybe that's why the blackbirds were nesting somewhere unsafe for them. Leave them to it, it's for their own good.

You can say that, but as a professional gardener do you make provision for disturbed nests?

I have always. I will continue to.

My work and life involves rare and endangered birds as well. There is no leeway in the legislation covering those, so I apply the same logic to the wee beasties too.

I hardly think I am challenging some evolutionary trend to nesting on moving cars.

Re:

Regrettably , there are few species that can sucessfully adapt to the ever-encroaching species that is man .
It is a known fact that the planet simply cannot sustain our race forever . There will come a point where we cannot grow enough food to feed ourselves at the rate we are reproducing . Thankfully , not in our lifetime . Does that make me selfish ?
It is also a fact that many more species will become extinct if they are of no use to us , just that some will survive longer than others .
Which is why , given the opportunity and ability , some of us try to redress the balance in our own little way .
Maybe it's the guilt we feel driving our cars , building new estates/shopping centres , even riding our bikes through the countryside etc. etc.
Guess that makes me a hypocrite too .

Mike

Re:

I don't think it does.

We drive inefficient vehicles, on a relative scale.

They have passed through many years though, and that ameliorates the damage.

We have spent many years investing in rare breeds.

We put money into protecting rare species.

Large scale input into the quest to preserve.

It drips down to the common or garden birds too.

You can walk past a blackbird nest a hundred times a day unknown, they nest very well in close proximity.

No one should give up on a species merely on the gambit of Nature's Way or suchlike.

Do what you can to give a shove in the right direction for whatever fauna you encounter.

Guilt free.

Re:

I do what I can HF , always feel bad when I do start the car up , despite only using it for around 25 miles this week .
Maybe it don't help that for work , I drive a truck that does 10 to the gallon . Guilty conscience .
Donate to WWF , FWIW . Feels like a lost cause when it's farmers and oriental cultures that are directly putting species on the endangered list , through increasing farmland , deforestisation and Chinese medicine . The only way with some of these issues , is for countries politicians to come together to discuss these issues . Can't see that hapenning .
A million miles away from helping blackbirds I know , but part of the bigger picture .
I'm a happy chappie tonight eh :roll:

Well I just do what I can to make sure my actions are balanced. I can't speak for those whose professions involve countless mayhem for natural habitat. I create rather than destroy.

Re:

Cause more mayhem when I'm blocking the road mate ! :facepalm:

Maybe you do, but it is a great idea to think about it whenever you can. Blocking the road is hardly the same as carrying out activities that are ill advised if not prohibited during birds' reproduction cycle.

Back