Wales (picture heavy!)

Picture9.jpg

proper custard with frosties :LOL: my treat to myself tonight after todays events! which is another topic!

Gadro":2j5iatfm said:
By the way it's not

Coed ll Andegla

but

Coed Llandegla (Koid Thlan-Degla)

Coed means Wood, Woods, Forest
Llandegla is complicated because Llan means Church Ground, churchyard, church field, etc. But I've no idea what Degla means, possibly battle or siege

:LOL: :LOL: Thanks for that, had no idea where he'd been untill now! And it's only down the road from me although i've only been there twice!

Yes, there most definately is a north south divide.... north voted no for welsh assembly because they knew the money will go down south, and for us down there is a million miles away... it takes 4 hours to get to London but 6 hours to our capital :shock: and they speak funny down there, different words n that, not proper welsh :LOL:

By the way, if you chaps come again then give me a shout, i'm only 30 minutes away!

Gadro":9half450 said:
Coed Llandegla (Koid Thlan-Degla)

I would say that "Ll" is pronounced like the Ch sound in "loch" but adding an l (similar to the start of "clue" or "clock") ??

edit* no it doesnt

Easy_Rider":39u85ryg said:
and they speak funny down there, different words n that, not proper welsh :LOL:

Oh yes

"Who's coat is that jacket like" springs to mind :D

and the infamous Wenglish in which I am 100% fluent and is a totally foreign language in itself...."you know mun butt that's my coat over by there, innit like."

And yet when you go over to Tenby the accent is the very Queens English and each valley which is only a couple of miles from each other has very strange differences in words and pronunciations. "I'll do it in a minute now mun" ??????

And don't talk to me about Cardiff and Newport but the words.."Hey mate I loves Mars Bars" spring to mind.

And to everyone who mispronounces LLANELLI. This does in nowhere have a similar pronunciation as WELLINGTON BOOTS or sound like CLANETHI

I think the closet phonetic for Llanelli is I think THLAN-ETH-LI

The TH is the same as TH in than but keep your tongue behind your teeth and on the roof of your mouth. Give emphasis on the E in the middle and the I is pronounced as EE rather than EYE. Try saying LEE but with the tip of your tongue curled up and touching the roof of your mouth and let the air pass either side of your mouth

The LL is a mystery to Non Welsh speakers but give it a go and soon you'll Siarad Cymraeg :cool:

i do know how to pronounce it, being born and raised in Wales ;)

I just think THL as a phonetic is very misleading, mine was even worse tho :LOL:

i know a bit of Welsh, but i'm not fluent. doesn't make me any less proud for being welsh tho, I mean you dont call a scot unpatriotic for not speaking gaelic!

:D Perfect link to cycling in Scotland
Have a look at 7stanes mountain biking podcast which is the best wee movie :cool:
http://cycling.visitscotland.com/mountain_biking/

Wales is a Great Country :cool: ,i lived in north Wales [near Colwyn bay]for 4 months
Natives are friendly :D
I bet there was a bit more climbing than you are use to ;) :LOL: but the long low downhill trails more than make up for it :cool:

Gadro":2da6nq7x said:
The TH is the same as TH in than but keep your tongue behind your teeth and on the roof of your mouth. Give emphasis on the E in the middle and the I is pronounced as EE rather than EYE. Try saying LEE but with the tip of your tongue curled up and touching the roof of your mouth and let the air pass either side of your mouth

The LL is a mystery to Non Welsh speakers but give it a go and soon you'll Siarad Cymraeg :cool:

I would have said:-

Try to spit out the sides of your mouth but not the front :LOL:

Back