Wagon Wheels Genesis More tweaks.

Re:

Ta for the comments chaps.

The tubing is Reynolds 520, made in the far east under license apparently.

When I ride off road locally I very rarely use the granny ring on my 2 x 9 so hopefully the same with this one, but I think I will gasp a bit when I go to the North Downs.......and probably gasp a lot when I go to the South Downs :oops:

I'm looking on it like my singlespeed, but with some lower gears, sometimes I think I use the granny ring because it's there when I don't really have to.

There is a lower 29er specific Deore cassette which I could go for but I think I will save up/sell stuff for 10 x 1

Re: More Wagon Wheels Genesis finished for now.

Notice you've fitted full length outer cables, how have you secured to the frame?

Re: More Wagon Wheels Genesis finished for now.

Nice.

Looks a bit small though.

The 26" latitudes were nice so no doubt this will ride well

Re:

The frame has bolt on cable guides......which didn't come with it, so I used Nukeproof P clips, except under the crud catcher where I used cable ties.

Hmmmm, I'm pretty happy with the size, lots of post in the frame and nowhere near the max on the post, I also wanted it relatively short for the type of riding this one will do, if it was an SS then a medium possible would be better reach wise.

I always have been between small and medium frames, generally have gone for the former for clearance.

Seems much more difficult now with 29ers, my Fisher SS is a medium but with the same stand-over as the Genesis.

I have swopped my small Orange frame for a medium Specialized and am feeling over biked...see the update on that soon!

Have got the front wheel sealing OK now, for some reason the fluid wasn't doing the bisiness, so cleaned it all out and put some fresh in and it aired straight up and has held, sadly I put the tyre on the wrong way round :oops:

Re:

Been out twice this weekend, yesterday was a gentle bimble largly road and a bit of off road just to make sure all was fine gearwise etc.

Then today out in the swamp, why do I always to this when I have just finished a bike! Although TBH it is just what I have put this bike together for.

The only changes have been a DT Swiss rear QR which has solved the wheel creep and a chain stay cover for a bit of protection.

Ended up doing some singletrack I rarely do in the mud such was the confidence the bike gave, tyres gripped superbly in the gloop, although I will have to turn the front, it was extremely muddy tho and I did run out of low gears a couple of times.

It is a bulldozer so should be a lot of fun on the surrey hills.

If it was my only bike I would have built it different as it is a bit of a drag on the road, but fortunately I have a speedy bike so this is a bit of a no compromise bomber!

Re:

10 speed now!

Second hand SLX shifter, new but missing bits XT rear mech and new XT chain and cassette, plus a OneUp 42t rear cog.

I was going to go with the Hope but like the idea of the OneUp 16t cog to close up the gaps so went with that, v please too, thought they were American and try to buy Brit if poss but they come from just down the road....result.

Out of interest tried it with a 9 speed cassette and it really looked like it would work........no guarantee's tho'

Although I wasn't happy with the shifting using the 16t so just used the big ring, thought I wouldn't notice the gap, sadly I do, my rides generally begin with a draggy mile or so on the road before the interesting stuff.....and yes...exactly between gears....oh well, may swop the 16 back in.

Shifting down in the middle of the block is a bit vague but shifting up is fine, although I do find the clutch mech makes the shifter heavier, maybe some more tweaking needed!

Had trouble getting the Hope Mono Mini's set up correctly, I like them but the washer setup is a real pain and with the sliding rear drop outs almost impossible, so though I would go for a pair of floating discs thinking that would give just enough movement, alas mountain bike floating discs do not float like motorbike ones do, in fact had to move the rear wheel way back to even clear them. So it now has some early XT brakes, work very well, easy to adjust, look horrible :oops:

Oh well, at least I can move the wheel forward now.

Other tweaks, have put a DT Swiss QR on the front to match the rear and put the front tyre on the right way round.

Tyres.......I may have made a mistake here, they are great when going down hill and things are very snotty but they are sooooooo draggy. To be fair they do exactly what the are meant to but I may put something a bit less knobby on the back.....will let evrything settle a bit first.

Re:

Been using the Genesis a lot recently.

Went for a ride on the South Downs yesterday, the gearing seemed just right and the bike was v comfy for the 3 hours.

The ground was pretty dry due to the strong (cold :( ) wind I guess, bike was still dirty from a Sussex Weald swamp fest on Saturday.

Have considered swopping the front ring for a 30t but actually the 32t seems fine now, but the forks do twist a bit with the big tyres and clearance is pretty poor at the front, causing a couple of stops in mud, but doing another mortorcycle restoration so it will be a while before they get upgraded.

Very happy with the tyres, although they probably should be on wider rims, but traction and comfort is excellent, not noticing the draggyness now, the whole bike seems to have settled nicely, shifting has improved dramatically after a couple of rides.

Re:

Still really enjoying the Genesis but had some tyre problems.

Running tubeless...the rear just would not hold but no leak visible.

I put it down to running 2.3 tyres on road rims.

Taking the tyres off I found that the rear had not sealed the rim or coated the inside of the tyre at all...very strange, the front was fine, I wonder if there was some kind of contaminant on the walls of the rear tyre....bit weird tho as I bought them both together.

Swopped the wheels from the Inbred across, the Smorgasbords are OK is most conditions but nothing like as good as the Specialized in mud......which is fair enough I guess, horses for courses.

Had one small issue this weekend on some very tight single track, in effect a hairpin on an almost vertical (or feels it!) drop, think I probably locked up the back wheel when it was airborne, when it landed it pulled sideways in the drop outs causing a rapid stop, but first time it has happened since the DT Swiss QR's so not so bad.

Here it is now.

Re:

That frame looks so delicate in between those wheels. As you acknowledge this is a very specific build I am sure you will accept my comment that it appears more style over function. The clearance is tiny for a mud plugger and the seat post length does make me wonder. How tall are you?

As a style creation it is a credit and I love that saddle. Happy riding :)

Back