Vitus 979 retromod in blue

964Cup

Dirt Disciple

Vitus 979 in 57/58 blue anodised (some sort of mk1.5 with the grub screw seat clamp but only one set of cage bolts and French threads and sizing throughout).
Shimano 600ex French headset
Kalloy 25mm post
San Marco Rolls in blue
3TTT Status stem (105), hand-sanded down to 22mm, anodising removed and polished. Took forever, and could probably still be improved.
Nitto noodle bars
Zefal alloy cage
Selcof (Planet-X cheapie) bar tape, Cinelli alloy plugs
Campag Record 8spd ergos, rear mech (Ti), front mech and cassette (Record Exadrive 13-26)
Shimano cable stops, customised with bits from another pair to get rid of the grey plastic
Campag Chorus (modern) skeleton brakes, Swissstop blue pads
KMC chain
Sugino XD2 chainset (175) with Stronglight Zicral rings (50/34)
Velo Orange Grand Cru French thread BB
BLB crank bolts with anodized self-extractors
Shimano SPD pedals
Campag Shamal tubular wheelset, 8sp Exadrive Record hubs, slightly mismatched rims (collective wisdom seems to be that the front is older)
Vittoria Corsa CG tubs
Jagwire cabling

Quite pleased with this. Easily the cheapest thing I've built, yet I think it's very pretty. Some compromises for its intended purpose, which is gentle tooling about while I recuperate from my back operation, so it's geared for easy spinning and has modern brakes and flatter bars.

Still to do:
Fit a stepped ferrule to the chainstay end of the rear mech cable outer (on order)
Replace the bar tape with something that matches the saddle properly (possibly on order, depends what the colour is like when it turns up)
Possibly replace the pads - not convinced blue is the right compound for these wheels. But they're blue.
Possibly replace the brakes with something period (monoplaners or the brakes from the 8spd Record group)
Eventually fit a proper Record Ti chainset (should work on the same BB as it'll be ISO taper, the BBs JIS, so although it's a 107 axle it should end up with a 111mm-equivalent chainline...hopefully)
Also possibly fit some proper pedals - mind you the frame is likely a decade older than the groupset and wheels anyway, so it's not as though it's period-correct to begin with.

It rides rather nicely - the handling is nimble, and it's nothing like as flexy as my Record Carbonio.

Pro-tip: the bars, saddle, stem, bar-tape, and FD clamp all came from Planet X for about £110 collectively. The saddle alone is being sold on eBay for £70...

I see you have not been here in a while....hopefully you are well and riding this beauty. I have a 1991 Vitus 979 full Dura Ace originally, where I have added Ultegra sis 6600. There seems to be something missing on the chainstay cable stop... perhaps a ferrule that was integral to that stop or an additon. I note you mention something like this here, "on order". Can you give be more information about this? The pic shows what I believe it looks like, but mine lacks that ferrule / extension. If this entire stop is a unit and screws in, where can I get it. If not, is there a ferrule that will work with the 4mm outer SIS cable, and keep the cable lined uo properly??
Many thanks from Canada!

Attachments

• VitusCableStop-Duraacep6pb11806290.jpg
    VitusCableStop-Duraacep6pb11806290.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 6
It's just a stepped ferrule - they're are available in all sorts of internal/external diameters and lengths, it's just a case of finding one that fits your requirements.

Thank you... learning as I go, cause the younger guys in bike shops have zero idea haha
Can you tell me what the ID is of the cable stop. Tech guy here was sure that the ferrule was integral to the cable stop, but pictures of new frames disprove that. He then told me he thinks the ID is 5.5mm. If so, then the ferrule would have a 4MM female end for the cable and 5.5mm male cable stop end???
If I can determine this I can go looking for the mysterious ferrule!
Grateful!

Last edited:
Thank you... learning as I go, cause the younger guys in bike shops have zero idea haha
Can you tell me what the ID is of the cable stop. Tech guy here was sure that the ferrule was integral to the cable stop, but pictures of new frames disprove that. He then told me he thinks the ID is 5.5mm. If so, then the ferrule would have a 4MM female end for the cable and 5.5mm male cable stop end???
If I can determine this I can go looking for the mysterious ferrule!
Grateful!
Had a quick measure with a tape measure, and the ID is approximately 5.5mm the smaller OD is approximately 3.5mm.

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_221121.jpg
    IMG_20220520_221121.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
Back