Early Vitus 979

genuinelunch

Retro Newbie
Hello all, I recently acquired this ride. Seems pretty original; saddle, stem, brake levers, and pedals being some main replacements. Nice Shimano 600 parts, yada yada yada. I'll post some pics for you to evaluate, but what I'm curious about is the decals and/or lack thereof. The only decals are the ones on the fork spelling "VITUS". I've seen the small frame tube decals, and similar ones on the forks, but am not familiar with this particular style. If anyone has any info regarding this model, please feel free to indulge me. It has a grub seat post bolt and "52" stamped into the side of the head tube. Unfortunately, it's too small for me, but I'd still like to do some restoration on it, unless someone expresses enough interest to sell as is. Everything works, nothing stuck, but those brake lever hoods are pretty melty. Can post more pics if needed. Oh and if anyone can identify those rims, I'm curious about that as well.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    408.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 21
And in case you're wondering, I loosened the stem bolt to check it. It was a little tight, but I was able to wiggle it loose. And I assume the "52" is the seat post measurement, correct?

The 52 is indeed the frame size. Yours is not an early one. Early ones had a conventional pinch clamp on the seat cluster which was prone to breaking, and they swapped to the Allen bolt setup after a couple of years. There was a site knocking about which had some info on how to decipher the frame number and work out what year it was made. It’ll be out there somewhere but it’s been years since I used it.

I haven’t seen that Vitus decal on the fork blade before. That’s not to say it’s not original, you just usually see the rectangular one.

I take it you’ve seen this blog?

There’s stacks of info on there and it was written by someone on here.

Yep, I've seen that blog. I saw that the grub screw was introduced in 1985. I guess "early" wasn't the best word to put in the title, considering '85 was the 6th year they were being made. I also watched a video on youtube all about Vitus, where they explain that seat post clamp failure. And I've read about serial numbers up and down, but I'm not convinced that's gonna get me anywhere. I really just want to get to the bottom of those fork decals, excuse my errant title. But maybe it's just not that big a deal... Oh, and by "seat post measurement", I meant seat tube length. Ugh, I guess I got on here a little too early this morning. Anyway, thanks for chiming in!

The decals look modern-very similar to the one’s I’ve applied to my blue Vitus of similar vintage.I have several Vitus 979s and the original decals are fragile and look very different.

I had one of those in mid 90s.
Went for a boys day out starting in Bala. All was well until we were getting near Bwlch y Groes on the return. I started hearing a funny noise. Turned out that drive side chainstay had come unbonded from the rear dropout. and was flexing back and forward with my effort. Not fun going up there but I made it and found the rest of the gang eating ice cream while waiting for me. Going down was OK, but still a brown trouser job.
Took it to LBS on Monday who "repaired" it. I don't know what they did, but I sold it soon after; couldn't trust it again.

Yep, I've seen that blog. I saw that the grub screw was introduced in 1985. I guess "early" wasn't the best word to put in the title, considering '85 was the 6th year they were being made. I also watched a video on youtube all about Vitus, where they explain that seat post clamp failure. And I've read about serial numbers up and down, but I'm not convinced that's gonna get me anywhere. I really just want to get to the bottom of those fork decals, excuse my errant title. But maybe it's just not that big a deal... Oh, and by "seat post measurement", I meant seat tube length. Ugh, I guess I got on here a little too early this morning. Anyway, thanks for chiming in!

No worries, I knew what you meant :)

I’ve had two 979s. I can’t remember whether the number stamp referred to the seat tube length or the top tube. I have a vague recollection that my 52 measured 54 along the top tube but I can’t remember what the other one was.

With regards to decals. Both of mine had remnants of the usual Vitus logos on the forks. One of mine was light blue anodised and where the anodising was faded you could see it originally had decals like @Ideale ’s one above. The other one was black like yours and had no trace of anything left behind so I don’t know what it had originally.

Attachments

• 7B44A0FB-FDFB-4ECE-823E-420A345B378C.png
    7B44A0FB-FDFB-4ECE-823E-420A345B378C.png
    496.3 KB · Views: 2
  • EB86CA35-45AF-47C2-BFF0-59C37C8074D0.png
    EB86CA35-45AF-47C2-BFF0-59C37C8074D0.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I had one of those in mid 90s.
Went for a boys day out starting in Bala. All was well until we were getting near Bwlch y Groes on the return. I started hearing a funny noise. Turned out that drive side chainstay had come unbonded from the rear dropout. and was flexing back and forward with my effort. Not fun going up there but I made it and found the rest of the gang eating ice cream while waiting for me. Going down was OK, but still a brown trouser job.
Took it to LBS on Monday who "repaired" it. I don't know what they did, but I sold it soon after; couldn't trust it again.
Graham Weigh, who was the Vitus importer, repaired frames. There is a You-Tube video of Graham's were he discusses his history with the marque. Well worth lokking it up.

Over the Bwlch -y Groes eh? You must have been gluttons for punishment! There are photos in an early 60's 'Sporting Cyclist' of the Milk Race over there and most of the field - including some big hitters - were walking!

Graham Weigh, who was the Vitus importer, repaired frames. There is a You-Tube video of Graham's were he discusses his history with the marque. Well worth lokking it up.

Over the Bwlch -y Groes eh? You must have been gluttons for punishment! There are photos in an early 60's 'Sporting Cyclist' of the Milk Race over there and most of the field - including some big hitters - were walking!
The frame came from Graham Weigh. His Coppull shop run by Paul Hewitt who is now one of the big hitters in his own right, and Alex Jaffrey a spanner man beyond compare. One of the key men at the Manchester Velodrome, or was until it shut for refurbishment and he wouldn't travel daily to/from Derby. Not seen him for a while on the Wednesday cafe run so maybe he's back working - or retired.

Won't say we were big hitters but the ride was organised by Bill Bradley who had won the Milk Race. Might have been a few years earlier but he still lead us a merry dance.

Back