Viper Scandium - Weight Weenie build

Re: Viper Scandium 19lb Weight Weenie build

Disc rotors, hope SAW, circa 78g.

If you want lighter and cheaper but slightly less stopping power then Quaxar with alloy carrier circa 69g.

KCNC razor are cheaper and slightly lighter by the braking surface is more air than metal and i found it did not retard my bulk so well.

Ti rotor bolts wilk save 15 g over steel. You can get alloy rotor bolts if you are really brave.

Also some pads are available with alloy backing plate.

To conclude, some callipers are two part e.g. Avid elixir, the M6 bolt can be replaced by Ti, replace one at a tine using a clamp to hokd together so no fluid is lost.

Oh, and check out the £ 20 ebay full carbon saddles (spesh toupe look a like) from china at 110 g.

Got one recently and it survived the first ride and is more comfortable than expected. Get the matt finish type as it scratches easily esoecially if you ride in the mud.

I went back to V-brakes. I tried and tried but just couldn't get the XTR levers and BB7s set up in a way that convinced me they were any better than V-brakes, and most of the time I felt they were significantly worse. And they were a constant faff to keep running without any rub, with miniscule tolerances. So I got rid of the discs and am all the happier for it.

So the current build is fairly close to the one in the last photo on page 5 with a smattering of top-end Shimano. The differences are:

M960 polished crankset wth Middleburn rings
M970 V-brakes
M952 levers
M970 shifters
Dura Ace 7800 mid-cage rear mech with various bolts and jockeys
White Rocket V SLT Titanium (though I think I'm going to swap it for a Charge Knife or Ti Spoon shortly)

I've left this bike unfinished for a while when riding other things (mainly the road bike) but it's now just about up and running again and am looking forward to getting out on it over the summer. Recent changes are a very nice condition M970 XTR chainset and an Easton MonkeyLite SL low rise carbon bar. Promising myself this is the 'final' setup though I'm still keen to replace the WTB Rocket SLT with a Charge Knife (lighter and comfier, for me anyway) and I may go back to some lighter Avid V's (Mag/Ti) over the XTRs if I can find a set. Updated pictures on the way...

And here are the final photos. Just the saddle to replace when I find a Charge Knire...

Attachments

• IMG_8323 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8323 (Custom).JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_8326 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8326 (Custom).JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,270
  • IMG_8324 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8324 (Custom).JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_8319 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8319 (Custom).JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_8320 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8320 (Custom).JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_8328 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8328 (Custom).JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 1,271
  • IMG_8330 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_8330 (Custom).JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,271

lovely

I would like my LTS rebuild to look as classy as this, however, it won't :LOL:

BobCatMax":c6sarj1f said:
lovely

I would like my LTS rebuild to look as classy as this, however, it won't :LOL:
:D Cheers - just seen your recent post on the LTS thread and note that your life seems to have taken a course almost identical to mine in the last few years... :) Hence the slow progress with this one too!

Not weighed the current setup but it's probably closer to 19.5lbs at the moment with a heavier bar (50g), heavier saddle (50g) and heavier V-brakes (about 100g) since the last time I weighed it.

It's going on a gentle test spin this afternoon.

Cheers - since its 'gentle test spin' last week it's taken me to my first KOM, a 2nd and a 3rd on three uphill offroad Strava segments that I rode for the first time. And I haven't ridden any distance for a long time and have next to no fitness (and even less stamina), which makes me conclude that a) it is one fast bike, and b) everyone else nowadays is using the wrong kind of bike (I've thought that for some time though, must be getting old...)

Not updated this thread for a while now... I've only really been riding on the road in the last few years so nothing much has happened to this bike.

But recently I came across a rare set of 26" (V-brake compatible) Trigon carbon rigid forks like the ones I used to have on a different build - the same as the expensive Ritchey ones. I couldn't resist taking them and this is the only bike I've got that they'll fit. I've seen the 'gravel bike' trend in looking at road bikes and thought that all I do offroad nowadays is most likely to be that, so this would turn into my gravel bike project. The 470g (!) carbon rigid forks have gone on the bike today and overall the weight is 8.0kg :shock: although there's currently a riser bar and a slightly heavier seatpost than I had previously. Not sure if I'm going to swap the riser bar back for something flat, I don't like the look of risers but I'll have to give it a ride or two before I decide.

Will get some photos up when I get the chance...

Back