Vintage Dawes? Can you help me ID and date this bike?

no, you are correct, the last owner had stripped it all back (at least 4 different colours he said) had i think has stuck it back on, which is why i had questioned the authenticity

Robbied196":20u2o5je said:
Is the head badge riveted on?

I can see holes but no rivets.

Sorry its taken a while to reply, ive had my head fully into finding something worth updating with :) so if your interested to hear what i found out read on...

I have been round the houses a bit while researching but basically i started to wonder if it was french or just a mish-mash of parts. Bertin was looking likely but i read on a bike technical site - sheldonbrown.com the differences in tube sizes between british and french bikes around that era. After checking the bike turns out to fit into the british category.

Focusing on the lugs, i now believe them to be Haden, british and widely used by Dawes too - classicrendezvous.com

After trawling the net and finding a few images im now pretty sure my bike is either a Dawes Realmrider or Red feather and date it at early 60s. The Red feather used GranSport derailleurs too, which might make it 50s? but then you cant argue with this Realmrider frame...
http://vintagebikecave.com/shop/frb011- ... 57-cm-c-t/ (as seen in attached pics)

Im still wondering about the grease port on the BB and would like to find out more about when these bike were produced. If anyone has info on this please let me know.
Thanks for all the comments, help and info, hope this is useful for others too :D

Attachments

• Picture 17.png
    Picture 17.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Picture 18.png
    Picture 18.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Picture 20.png
    Picture 20.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,671
  • Dawes_RedFeather_1.jpg
    Dawes_RedFeather_1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,671
Re: Vintage Dawes

Sorry this is a very late reply. The Red Feather dates from about 1960. I got mine second hand in 1964. Lugs are Nervex. Frame tubing is Campagnolo (strangely) because it said on a decal. Gears Campag Gran Sport I think. I renovated mine 3 years ago replacing most of the parts which weren't as good as the frame and forks. Now a nice commuter and potential tourer. Don't know if this illuminates the original post.

Attachments

• Dawes.jpg
    Dawes.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 1,398
Re:

Thanks for the reply and picture, looks lovely, you have done a great job! This post was a long time ago and I don't actually have the bike anymore. From memory I think that would fit in quite well with what you have said. Thank you for taking the time to post, hopefully it will help someone else in the future.
Happy riding!:)

Latest posts

Back