Vintage can of worms?

caferacer

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new on here and am probably about to make myself unpopular for potentially re-stirring a can of worms.

But...

Why are people selling bikes on eBay as 'vintage' when they were built and sold as late as the 90's?

Does it not work like cars?

late 1800's to 1935 = VINTAGE
1935 to 1970 = CLASSIC
1970 to 1990 = RETRO
1990 to present = Whatever you ride?

Keeping in mind that bikes have been around a 'similar' amount of time?

Ta.

You've kind of answered your own question in some respects.

Bearing in mind that 'mountain bikes' only officially appeared about 35 years ago, all that history is condensed into that relatively short period of time. So a very early mountain bike could be described as vintage or classic.
Of course there are other types of bicycle which are much older and could perhaps genuinely be described as vintage or even antique.

There tends to be a different timeline for road bikes from the one for mountain bikes.

There isn't really an agreed formula as such, but for the purposes of defining a 'retro' mountain bike, anything before 1997 is normally the accepted guideline.
This of course has always been debatable but the definition is based upon the technology of the time rather than the actual date.

In terms of ebay listings which use the term vintage; more often than not it will be more about including searchable keywords rather than an accurate definition.
Alot of ads will use 'Vintage, Retro and Classic' to draw in viewers.

Having been collecting various items for our wedding over the past few months, I can say with some authority that the application of the word "Vintage" correlates directly to the increase in price

Example....
4 x bone china teacups, saucers and sideplates at local charity shop = £10
4 x "Vintage" identical bone china teacups, saucers and sideplates at local vintage/retro emporium or ebay = £50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y :LOL:

G

This has been gone through many times. They are just words in the English language. They have defined meanings which are not the meanings attached to them by car enthusiasts. If car enthusiasts want to use those words that way then fine, but it doesn't mean that we have to to do the same.

The word retro means a style harking back to a bygone age. In the English language a 2012 Morgan is retro. As it happens, it is also classic and its vintage is 2012.

unkleGsif":pnf5r66n said:
Having been collecting various items for our wedding over the past few months, I can say with some authority that the application of the word "Vintage" correlates directly to the increase in price

Example....
4 x bone china teacups, saucers and sideplates at local charity shop = £10
4 x "Vintage" identical bone china teacups, saucers and sideplates at local vintage/retro emporium or ebay = £50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvcD4Czx4Y :LOL:

G

Yeah, currently playing the wedding game too.

Room and a bar? £150

Room and a bar with a newwly married couple in it? £1500...

Will you need more then 4 cups though...? :D

They call them Vintage on eBay for the same reason half the bike parts seem to end with something like "Ringle, Yeti, Fat Chance, Kooka" even though the part has nothing to do with any of those companies :p

caferacer":3r4vyj4s said:
Yeah, currently playing the wedding game too.

Room and a bar? £150

Room and a bar with a newwly married couple in it? £1500...

Will you need more then 4 cups though...? :D

Nah, only got one friend each :LOL:

The cake is another one that got my goat.....
Large cake for "generic celebration" = £100
Large cake iced in white = £600+

She is making our own cake (and bloody awesome it looks too)
We are doing our whole thing, venue, dress, rings, suit and food for under £8000, which is bloddy good if you ask me.....
She has even made the bunting, the napkins, she's crochet'd the buttonholes, made her own headpeice and veil :cool:

Customer at work paid £30k last month for hers :roll:

When is yours?
G

Always thought the term classic was misused. Not all old bikes are classics, many are just old bikes.
Veteran for very old, old and modern seem more sensible and let individual owners sing the merits of their kit.

err.. can i get on my soapbox here.
who in their right mind would pay 30 grand for a day out?
i found when doing my wedding that the price at least doubled everytime i mentioned wedding so i just diddnt mention it. £1500 all in lol i told the venue it was a function room for a party, the car was ordered for a limo service and as quite a good photographer myself i spent 300 quid on a medium format camera and trained a frien in how to push a button, i composed the pictures myself.
the pictures were fine, everyone was fed and watered and everyone had a good time job done.
slightly back on topic is annoys the hell out of me when people list an item and write NOT in front of it such as for sale.. generic bso, not klein, cannondale, pure gold, shimano ect ect. ffs that pi$$es me off no end. i know why its done its just bloody annoying.
rant over

Chute55uk":enya4bde said:
i found when doing my wedding that the price at least doubled everytime i mentioned wedding so i just diddnt mention it. £1500 all in lol i told the venue it was a function room for a party

Ahahaha oh man I wanted to do that so bad. "Yeah its for a roughly 180-200 person office party".

Latest posts

Back