Very pink 1985 Orbit Gold Medal

Frustratingly given the good weather, the painting is on hold while I wait for some white primer to arrive. I have some grey primer (as do the local shops), but given that the pink paint really requires white primer, I don't want to cut corners. That's a lesson I've learnt from previous painting experiences.

In the meantime I've been removing lots of caked-on grime. The 600EX rear derailleur has a nice solid feel, as do the Retrofriction shifters. I'm pretty sure the crankset is a Stronglight 80. I'm hoping it should shift pretty nicely with this set-up.

IMG_3995.jpg

I must say that a lot of this bike's features bare a close resemblance to the Eclipse in this thread....

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/eclipse-owners-club.410287/

Even the Frame Number is the same format.

The plot thickens. Definitely very similar and the frame number certainly makes me wonder, though the Eclipses have the name-stamped seat-tube cap and/or are a different style to mine.

The Orbit Gold Medal I found online (as shown earlier in this thread) has the same fairly unsual hubs and seatpost as mine, which combined with the fact that earlier Orbits were also known for paint jobs that didn't last very well, makes me still suspect this is an Orbit. I guess if I could confirm more about Orbit frame numbering, that would help. I do know at least some Orbits had 7 rather than 6 figure serials, so some doubt remains. I'll see if I can find out more.

Well, it turns out that fluorescent paint, like metallic paint (in my limited experience), can be a bit...challenging. One coat on, and the coverage is not great, so I've had to order another can and I'm now hoping for a day above 15 degrees and not windy (the back garden being my only available spraying location). Not ideal given I also need to do the lacquer, but we shall see. I have a feeling this is not going to be entirely straightforward. 🤔

I think I have its best mate, pretty sure mine is a Carlton Super Course the seat stays are different to yours but the lugs are heart shaped and the colour it came in is remarkably pink too. Compress_20220314_181412_2086.jpg

Last edited:
Some progress at last, though I can't say I'm really that happy with the paint job to be perfectly honest. It's still in 'good from far, far from good' territory due to the lack of coverage from the neon paint - although I guess it is an improvement over how it looked before, which is the main thing, I suppose. To really be done properly would require more time and money than I want to put into this, so it is a bit rough around the edges. Plus I managed to hit the top tube when removing the frame from the drying booth (AKA the greenhouse), putting two marks in the paint 😖

On the plus side, putting the new decals on instantly makes it look better. I've done a few coats of lacquer, which I'll rub down with fine wet and dry before the final coats, as it's a bit stippled at the moment. Hopefully a good gloss finish will help create enough retina-burn that people won't actually be able to spot the dodgy areas :oops:

IMG_4369.JPG

It's getting built up again now. Sadly the rear wheel rim is too worn to keep, so this wheel will be replaced. On the downside the replacement I found is not vintage, but on the upside the rear spacing allows for more gears. It turns out it's not that easy getting vintage 27" wheels that have alloy rims and QR axles...

IMG_4373.JPG

Back