Used alloy Srint Rims

nammonk":3eb44hni said:
^^ Ian, I hadn't seen your reply when I wrote mine. I was not suggesting you hadn't put it on properly... Hope it didn't come across that way. Must have been a duff batch...
Nick

No worries Nick ;)

When it first came out in the early 80's i knew of many friends within weeks of using the tape experiencing tubs coming off and maybe we hadn't put/used it correctly, most of us went back to using glue.

Was on a ride last year and an old chap was braking really hard resulting in his glue melting and the front tub came a drift :(

Ian.

Barry Hoban writes in his biography of a TdF stage starting in the mountains (Andorra??) where Merckx attacked from the start downhill and everyone had to chase with the resulting heavy braking required and his tubs were rolled onto their side walls because of the heat generated in the rims by braking.

I've had a front tub start ballooning from excessive braking (coming down the side of the Gorges du Tarn). That was interesting. I'm pretty sure that was taped on, and it didn't roll... :D

Hmm, interesting.

I stopped racing in 1978 when I went to Uni and tub tape had been out about a year by then ? certainly not much longer.

I tried it a couple of times, first on my Shimano hubs with I think arc-en-ciel rims as I didn't want any glue on my very tarty wheels but found I could almost roll them off with my hands.

Maybe they had improved the formulation by the 80's but the 70's tub tape was a bit hit and miss..........and didn't sell well.

Shaun

Who could forget the strong tarry smell of Jantex tape which I first used about 1950. Dunlop made some useless white tape. Later I used to brush a bit of cellulose thinners round the rim to reactivate the residue, never clean it off, just spread it, and even it out.
The base tape on light tyres was bare cotton, so we coated it with pure latex. aLways lightly inflate the tyre before fitting. Cheap vulcanised tubulars tend to roll over when inflated.
In the early days we used to put a little french chalk (powder) for about 2 inches opposite the valve, to aid removal. I never had a tyre roll off. I don't think we ever heated the rims much, it seems our 1950's road races in the South West were always in the rain, where the brakes at best were an illusion.

It's pricey, but I always use Tufo Extreme tub tape...clean and easy to use, but still sticks like sh** to a blanket and has a plastic backing tape that actually works.
This stuff is a world away from the Jantex or Velox tape of old.

I've tried both Conti and Vittoria glues, but thet seem messy and time consuming in comparison.

All the best,

Its the swapping to a spare that puts me off tape. I have never managed to get a tub off without some tape coming with the tub and some staying with the rim.
You have sticky bumpy bits and dry low bits. Not good for bunging on the spare.
Cement leaves a nice sticky layer all over and if your spare is an old used one with a bit of cement still on it the bond is much better.

Back